The Risk & Financial Crimes Operations team is looking for an experienced Credit Underwriter to join an industry leading global credit operations team. As an underwriter, you will help underwrite and manage Stripe’s portfolio of users while devising growth friendly solutions that reduce Stripe’s credit risk.
Did you know that only around 4% of the world’s GDP comes from internet commerce? At Stripe, we believe that this represents a future with almost limitless potential for innovation, creativity and global prosperity. While the promise of a global online economy is palpable, it doesn’t come without significant risk. Billions of dollars are processed by Stripe each year and the credit operations team works to ensure that exposure is minimized while facilitating partner and company growth.
We are looking for someone passionate about credit, the payments ecosystem, educating other Stripes in a complex area of risk, naturally curious and has a strong desire to challenge the status quo. This person will work alongside a global team of analysts in providing cross functional partnerships to engineering, sales, treasury, vendor management and more.
The right candidate for this role will have a minimum of two years experience in credit risk analysis within e-commerce or payments and possess a deep understanding of financial statements, risk management, credit modeling and demonstrated experience mitigating credit risk.
- Work with merchants, from successful venture-backed startups to well established institutions; evaluating their business models and financial statements
- Help manage Stripe’s portfolio by developing a deep understanding of risk across industries, geographies, and operating models
- Identify differing risks of complex business models and enforce appropriate loss mitigation actions based on your assessment
- Utilize analytics to optimize strategies which can be enforced across Stripe’s portfolio
- Identify risk factors and trends and further report these identifiers to the wider risk team to ensure consistency in partnership
- Participate in monthly, quarterly, and annual business reviews for the Credit Operations team
- Identify gaps in current systems, policies and strategies, and recommend enhancements and process improvements
- Manage multiple projects to enhance and optimize credit strategy systems and tools
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A minimum of 2+ years of relevant experience with knowledge of commercial credit underwriting, financial risk modeling, and cash flow forecasting
- The ability to transform business and financial data into a cohesive narrative that outlines potential credit risks and presents dynamic mitigation strategies
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and comfort with evaluating financial statements and business models across a range of industries
- Deep empathy for entrepreneurs running a business, and are motivated to solve problems to empower them
- Proficiency in SQL or other data analysis tools
The ability and desire to challenge the status quo and is a creative thinker who considers problems from a customer perspective while being pragmatic and solutions oriented when solving them