Customer Engineer for Pivotal Data
Based in Cork
At Pivotal, our mission is to enable customers to build a new class of applications, leveraging big and fast data, and do all of this with the power of cloud-independence. Pivotal’s offering includes the Big Data Suite, the most complete approach to enterprise data lakes and advanced analytics; Pivotal Cloud Foundry, the industry leading Platform as a Service product; and world leading ultra-agile application development through Pivotal Labs.
Open source is an important part of our strategy. The Big Data Suite includes Greenplum Database (GPDB), our massively parallel data warehouse; GemFire, our distributed in-memory key-value store; HAWQ, our SQL on Hadoop solution; and MADlib, our machine learning solution.
The Greenplum Support Engineer provides in-depth technical support, troubleshooting and issue resolution to Pivotal customers. The Support Engineer combines highly complex technical skills with strong problem solving, communication, business, and management skills to address critical problems that frequently require the development of unique and creative solutions. The role works closely with other team members of Customer Engineering and other technical business units to ensure resolutions are expedited and to proactively revise procedures and tools to improve overall customer satisfaction.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Apply advanced and in-depth knowledge to analyze, diagnose, replicate, troubleshoot and resolve standard to highly complex technical customer reported issues around Pivotal Greenplum Database.
- Contribute to the (internal and external) knowledge base.
- Assist and mentor junior staff in team to resolve complex issues.
- Experience with Hadoop environments
- Escalate unresolved issues that require more in-depth knowledge to engineering in a timely manner.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Database fundamentals - Database concepts, SQL, queries, plans, joins
- Proficient in the use of Windows/Solaris/Unix/Linux systems and possess solid understanding of network configuration and troubleshooting.
- Database troubleshooting - client/server, query execution sequence, execution plan, log files
- Troubleshooting skills (PostgreSQL preferred)
- SQL Tuning
- Strong knowledge of data normalization and data relationships.
If you are passionate about solving problems, enjoy working with world-class people and developing cutting edge technology, you should explore a career with Pivotal.
This is a very exciting time to join Pivotal. We offer competitive benefits (health care, pension ) and compensation (including equity in a high growth market), and many extras that create a rewarding work experience.