The main focus of the Customer Service Manager is to satisfy the needs of every customer. The work of Customer Service Manager has to be performed at various levels right from initial level of dealing with customers at the reception to the higher level to make the top management aware of the expectations and need of the customers.
A Customer Service Manager must be self-motivated, as well as, have the capability to motivate the employees to have positive customer interaction and determination to achieve the goal of the organization.
As the face of an organization, a Customer Service Manager must have an engaging personality. This person must enjoy interacting with people, remain calm under stress and be able to smile when confronted with a disgruntled guest or staff member.
A Customer Service Manager must have the ability to develop customer service goals, communicate those goals to the staff, train the staff to meet the goals and handle internal and external communication challenges.
The Customer Service Manager oversees the customer service department including the National Call Center, ensures professional training of staff, and constantly explores new and innovative ways of serving our customers to the highest level. This position interacts with all departments both in the office and the warehouse, and must be in constant communication with upper Management, as well as, the entire sales staff.
Essential Job Duties
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to satisfactory standards. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Oversees and assesses customer service staff activities, and provides them with regular performance-related feedback.
- Builds an efficient and successful customer service team by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, developing, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures. This includes developing managerial/leadership skills of team leads/representatives.
- Generates and conducts performance reviews/evaluations.
- Has a strong understanding of business goals and standards for customer service.
- Meets customer service objectives and goals by planning, prioritizing and delegating work tasks to ensure proper functioning of the department; as well as ensuring the necessary resources and tools are available for quality customer service delivery.
- Ensures compliance with company policies as well as with customers’ requirements, including involvement in internal and external audits.
- Resolves client issues, a point of escalation.
- Continually plans and develops streamline methods for CS department.
- Evaluates work effectiveness.
- Analyzes statistics and other data to determine the level of customer service performance achieved by the team and provides them the resources needed to reach their goals.
- Identifies and implements strategies to improve quality of service, productivity and profitability by analyzing relevant data to determine customer service outputs; providing customer service information, recommendations, strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer service standards; resolving problems; identifying customer service trends; determining system improvements; and implementing change.
- Plans department activities.
- Coordinates and manages customer service projects and initiatives.
- Manages expenses and resources.
- Applies resource optimization.
- Develops budgets and performing cost-benefit analysis.
- Directs operational logistics.
- Works closely with all departments to ensure top quality customer service, and assists other departments or team members as needed.
- Partners on cross-functional initiatives throughout the company.
- Contributes to the growth of the company through a successful team.
- Actively seeks to resolve any concerns while adhering to the company policy and standards of behavior.
- Provides support to the CS team members and resolves complaints related to personnel or work environment.
- Hands-on involvement in all aspects of customer service to ensure timely, effective, and efficient execution of all tasks within the Customer Service Teams.
- Supplies management with various reports (including work status).
- Shares company updates, and new objectives with team members.
- Assists customer service staff with duties where required.
- Some transactional duties include but are not limited to reviewing claims or requests for approval/ denial, processing and approving employee time records, approving/ denying time off requests based on coverage and business needs, communicating updates/ changes to the team in a timely manner, performing price overrides and no charge releases, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Must have Self-Motivation, Strong Relationship Building, and Customer Service Skills.
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Very strong Listening Skills; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognition for results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Understand and support SWOT analysis, Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities.
- Innovation - Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Language Skills - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills - Higher Level of knowledge of Management systems; Makita Employee Portal; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Word Processing software.
This position does have direct supervisory responsibilities.
This position works in an open office setting that is quiet, fast paced, fosters continuous learning while operating under high demand/volume. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Some traveling required.
Education and/or Experience Desired
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Relevant Bachelor Degree preferred.
- 4+ years of customer service management, preferably in a call center environment.
- Experience with social media platforms.
- Additional formal management training such as accredited schools, workshops, and seminars.
- Experience with CRM systems, B2B, E-Commerce, EDI, call center management and monitoring software, call recording and screen capturing software.
- Microsoft Office experience (i.e. Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) with and added focus on Microsoft Excel.
- Experience operating in an EDI environment, as well as experience having worked on e-commerce projects is a plus.
- Work experience in the power tool industry is a plus.
- Experience with up-sales.
- Experience with process improvement and implementation.
- Experience within a high quality and fast paced customer service environment.
- Knowledge of management strategies and practical application in the workplace preferred.
- Project management experience required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required to regularly use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Required to regularly stand; walk; and stoop, bend or reach above head.
- This position requires you to work at a computer for 8 hours a day while answering calls, responding to emails, compiling reports, etc.
- May be required to occasionally lift, push or pull up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Able to ascend and descend stairs.
- Continuously reach out to sort miscellaneous items.
- Physically & mentally able to work in an environment that may be subjected to strict deadline and multiple projects.
- Working extended hours will be required as needed.
This description is based on management's assessment of the requirements and functions of the job as of the date this description was prepared. It is a general guideline for managers and employees, but it does not intend to be an exhaustive list of all of the elements of the job. Management reserves the right to modify the description at any time, or to vary the duties and responsibilities of the job on a temporary or indefinite basis to meet production, scheduling or staffing needs.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, veteran status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information, medical (including genetic characteristics or cancer diagnosis), actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is prohibited. Additionally, the Company will provide registered domestic partners with all rights and benefits as required by Law. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers from requesting or requiring genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities.