The Twilio Architecture team is responsible for the architecture of Twilio’s platform. The Data Architect will be a core member of the team focusing on designing data topologies and pipelines for handling and storing the immense amount of data we capture every day.
About the job:
- As an experienced software engineer, you will be developing the architecture that will be instrumental in operating globally available, resilient and high performance services used by hundreds of thousands of developers and apps.
- Successful candidates will be strong developers with deep experience in data modeling, data storage and Business Intelligence systems.
- Be part of a small, high-impact and multi-talented engineering team in San Francisco.
- Drive the technologies and policies needed to store, manage and interact with Twilio's data.
- Work with the engineering teams to help choose technologies, design system architecture and model data in a scalable and efficient way.
- Develop proof of concepts, shared libraries and services that will be used across the product engineering organization.
- Coordinate with Sales Operations, Marketing and Finance to help understand their data needs and how disparate systems will integrate.
- Tackle some of the most challenging problems in distributed computing, data persistence, and more.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title.
You should have at least 4 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Java. You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCC, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Data persistence. You have a strong background in SQL and NoSQL storage systems and data modeling. You are able to design and develop a production quality data pipeline in a distributed systems environment.
- Security. You are able to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for purpose of security techniques.
- Agile. You are an expert in practical aspects of running Scrum (or other agile methodologies) within a team and in a distributed cross-team environment.
- You have built a 10+ Terabyte redundant datastore.
- You have worked with Datagrid technologies such as Hazelcast, Infinispan or Coherence.
- You have scaled MySQL for writes beyond 20,000 inserts/second.
- Sound understanding of build and development toolchains.
Twilio makes communications easy and powerful. With Twilio's platform, businesses can make communications relevant and contextual by embedding real-time communication and authentication capabilities directly into their software applications. Twilio gives businesses the ability to innovate, prototype, create, and connect with their customers at the right time and in the right way. Founded in 2008, Twilio is a public company based in San Francisco, California with other offices around the world.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.