The Data Engineer will manipulate data and data flows for both existing and new systems. Additionally they will provide support in the areas of data extraction, transformation and load (ETL), data mapping, data extraction, analytical support, operational support, database support, and maintenance support of data and associated systems. As a member of the team, candidates will work in a multi-tasking, quick-paced, dynamic, process-improvement environment that requires experience with the principles of large-scale (terabytes) database development, large-scale file manipulation, data modeling, data mapping, data testing, data quality, and documentation preparation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience
- 10+ years of related software engineering and ETL experience.
- Experience building and maintaining data flows in NiFi or Pentaho.
- Excellent organizational, coordination, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Experience with the following languages: Java/J2EE, C, C++, SQL, XML, XQuery, XPath, Ruby on Rails, HTML/XHTML, CSS, Python, Shell Scripting, JSON
- Knowledge of servers operating systems; Windows, Linux, Distributed Computing, Blade Centers, and cloud infrastructure
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to comprehend database methodologies
- Focus on continual process improvement with a proactive approach to problem solving
- Ability to follow directions and finish task
- Research, design, develop and/or modifies enterprise-wide systems and/or application software.
- Develop complex data flows, or makes significant enhancements to existing pipelines.
- Resolves complex hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations.
- Conducts investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
- Researches emerging technologies to determine impact on application execution.
- Provides input to staff involved in writing and updating technical documentation.
- Troubleshoots complex problems and provides customer support for the ETL process
- Advises hardware engineers on machine characteristics that affect software systems, such as storage capacity, processing speed, and input/output requirements.
- Prepares reports on analyses, findings, and project progress.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced software engineers.
- May serve as a technical team or task leader.
Active DoD TS/SCI & appropriate level polygraph required for this position.
Who are we?
Praxis Engineering* was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Annapolis Junction MD - with growing offices in Chantilly VA and Aberdeen MD.
Praxis Engineering is a consulting, product, and solutions firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system engineering technologies to solve complex problems.
With over 350 employees supporting more than 50 contracts, Praxis brings together world class engineers with proven engineering best practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission objectives.
*Praxis Engineering is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics IT.
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don’t do things because “that’s the way we’ve always done things”; we listen to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our customer’s mission. We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement. Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it better.
And then there is the...
- Competitive salary
- Office perks such as free soft drinks and snacks (both healthy and not-so-healthy)
- Praxis swag (annual gift certificate to purchase top brand Praxis apparel)
- Comprehensive health insurance plans
- Parental leave
- 401k contribution/match: combination of profit share/contribution (4%) and employer match (up to 4%) for a total of 8%.
- Annual bonus plan
- Four weeks Paid Time Off + 10 holidays + comp time eligibility
- Training is a priority! Take advantage of our endless in-house training opportunities - or seek out vendor offered (paid) training opportunities like conferences, certification courses and seminars.
Conferences (recently attended by Praxis employees): AWS Summit, IoT World, Black Hat and DefCon.
Training & Certifications: Splunk, AWS, Big Data/Cloudera, VMWare, Scrum Master...the list of certifications goes on and on!
Praxis University: Cyber Research, Data Analytics, IoT, AWS and RedHat course offerings and hands-on training.
- We truly believe the right work-life balance can exist, and it's here at Praxis. Our work is extremely important, but your job is just a part of who you are. When you enjoy your life outside of our walls, you're at your best the next time you walk through our doors. We do all we can to assure that happens every day.
Praxis Engineering provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other protected class.