Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Get to know the role
- Job Title: Data Engineer
- Job Summary: Designs, builds and oversees the deployment and operation of technology architecture, solutions and software to capture, manage, store and utilize structured and unstructured data from internal and external sources.
- FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
- People Manager: No
What you’ll do
- Establish and build processes and structures based on business and technical requirements to channel data from multiple inputs, route appropriately and store using a combination of distributed (cloud) structures, local databases, and other applicable storage forms as required.
- Develops technical tools and programming that leverage available technologies (e.g., artificial intelligence, machine learning and big-data techniques) to cleanse, organize and transform data and to maintain, defend and update data structures and integrity on an automated basis.
- Create and establish documentation, design standards and assurance processes for software, systems and applications development to ensure compatibility and operability of data connections, flows and storage requirements.
- Reviews internal and external business and product requirements for data operations and activity and suggests changes and upgrades to systems and storage to accommodate ongoing needs.
- Participate in data migration and data onboarding efforts to consolidate data locations and promote consistency, security and accessibility to enable our engineering and business partners to make data-informed decisions.
What you’ll bring
- Three (3) to four (4) years of relevant professional experience or a demonstrated equivalent level of expertise.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a demonstrated equivalent level of applicable experience.
- Experience in data architecture.
- Experience in cloud data engineering (S3, RDS, Redshift).
- Demonstrated strength in SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Scala, Spark, Java, etc.).
- Communication and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving projects.
- Experience leading data driven discussions and designing scalable data platforms.
- Knowledge of industry best practices and the ability to evaluate the applicability of new processes and technologies.
- Analytical and mathematical mind, capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems.
- Proficiency with Databricks, Terraform, Data Streaming, DBT, RBAC (Role Based Access Control) a strong plus.
- Prior DBA experience a strong plus.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: For this role, new hires generally start between $102,000 - $121,600 . The full range is $102,000 - $154,000. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. Final base salary is directly related to each candidates' qualifications and professional experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.