Hi, we’re Canary… a NYC-based startup that helps people connect to their family, their community and their home in new ways. Our first product is an award-winning, all-in-one home security device that makes it easy to not just see, but understand what’s happening in your home from anywhere.
Canary’s data engineering team builds the infrastructure used by our smart devices to deliver actionable and timely alerts that enable users to live more secure lives. We use real-time data pipelines and rigorous automation to wrangle massive amounts of data in pursuit of insights.
What You'll Be Up To:
- Build security as a first concern in everything we do. As keepers of our users’ most private and precious moments, we act every day as the strongest champions of safety and security. The resulting technical challenges are numerous and impossible to put down. You’ll love doing this!
- Participate closely in architecture & design of our current and future systems covering data ingestion, long-term data warehousing, BI, dashboards, and alerting.
- Grow the ecosystem of tools and libraries that in concert will be used to discover and bring to market new products and services on the Canary platform.
- Automate everything to help us work free of repetition, deliver reproducible results, and continuously get better at what we do.
- Use Scala, Akka, Play! Framework, and various AWS services to construct scalable and resilient data pipelines that capture and process sensor readings and other information pertaining to how our devices see & perceive the real world.
- Fearlessly push the boundaries of what’s possible, learn by doing, and collaborate across a diverse and open engineering organization that spans software, hardware, and product.
What You’ll Need to Have:
- Experience building distributed, highly scalable backend systems using Scala, Java, Python, C++, or a similar high-level programming language.
- Prior exposure to Scala, or strong desire to learn Scala. The team will provide training and support for newcomers to the language.
- Hands-on experience with building highly concurrent, networked systems, including microservices, message-oriented infrastructure, and data pipelines.
- Deep understanding of modern best practices relating to automated, cloud-based deployment & design of software and services.
- Well-balanced mix of architectural thinking and ability to dive deep in pursuit of the best possible technical solution.
- Experience working with the AWS stack, including but not limited to: Kinesis, Lambda, EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift. Understanding of how the different services fit together, and when (not to) use each one.
- Exposure to a diverse set of data stores such as Cassandra, Redis, MySQL, PostgreSQL, HDFS, Riak, DynamoDB, MongoDB, and any others.
- Understanding of data streaming architectures, stream processing, and analysis of streaming data.
- Strongly developed data modeling and schema design skills.
- Hands-on knowledge of data serialization mechanisms, i.e. Protocol Buffers, Avro, Kryo, etc.
- Solid computer science fundamentals. We take algorithms and data structures seriously.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, highly collaborative startup environment. Ability to leverage unknowns as opportunities in disguise.
A Little About Us:
We’re Canary, a New York City-based startup that believes the best technology makes you smarter, puts you in control, and gives you access to the information you need. That’s why we’re dedicated to developing easy-to-use technology that protects, empowers, and has a meaningful impact on people, families, and their communities.
Our first product made Indiegogo history as the most successful connected home crowdfunded product ever, and has proven that there’s a real demand for a simple, intelligent, all-in-one home security device. We think it’s because Canary does more than protect your home; it gives people control, connects them to their loved ones, and helps them hold on to the moments that matter.
We're looking for brilliant, talented people who love toppling giants, working autonomously in small teams, solving challenging problems, and developing real solutions for everyday use. If that sounds like you, come join us and help us make the world feel safe and secure.
What can we give you?
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- Daily catered lunch.
- Flexible work hours.
- Unlimited vacation.
- Reimbursement for commuter costs.
- A beautiful and industrial office space.