Khan Academy is looking for talented data science interns to create the future of learning. We accept interns year-round, and work with undergrads through postdocs. Join us on our mission to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who believe that shipping beats perfection. We have built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
- Scaleable, distributed analytics tools and systems
- Thoughtful experiments using our open source A/B testing framework to determine what works and what doesn't
- Machine learning models to understand and power learning on Khan Academy
- Data APIs utilized internally to support decisions organization-wide
- We're not religious about using a specific technology. We're religious about using analytics to create an incredible experience for Khan Academy learners
- Cutting edge research from the psychology, education, and cognitive science to guide our experiments and form our hypotheses
YOU DON'T NEED
Lisp expertise. Actually, we don't require experience in any particular technology, but you should have an impressive collection of cool projects. We’re confident that you’ll be able to learn whatever languages and frameworks we throw at you (or, more likely, you throw at us).
- To know how to code. We're a small team tackling big problems; you'll make the biggest impact if you can code efficiently and contribute to our research infrastructure
- Solid command of basic statistics and a strong quantitative aptitude. Machine learning and advanced stats are not required skills, but they sure as heck don't hurt
- Pragmatism and demonstrated skill at turning data into action
- A passion for data and desire to change the world
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team well!
- Competitive salaries, housing stipends, and all travel covered
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- 27 inch Mac monitors
How to apply:
- Attach your resume below
- Attach a cover letter below that addresses the following prompt: At Khan Academy, we believe that reaching all learners requires an engineering team that is diverse in every respect, and we are looking for individuals who will help us fulfill our mission by adding to the diversity of our team's experiences, perspectives, and mindsets. With that in mind, tell us briefly how your experiences and perspectives— whether personal, professional, academic, or otherwise— could contribute to the diversity of our team.
- Links to projects (we really like these, but they are not a requirement). We especially like living, breathing projects, demos, or commentaries on your work. Please don’t just send code – show or tell us why you wrote it, what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about. If you're feeling especially creative feel free to include a link to a project that you've built on our programming platform.
- If you’d like to provide a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in KA (in addition to the diversity-based response), please feel free to include that in the 'Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?' section below.
To learn more about our work:
As an organization and as individuals, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, medical conditions, genetic information, disability, or Veteran status. We strongly encourage all candidates to complete the EEOC questions below so that we can continue to monitor our processes and ensure we are creating an environment that allows candidates to feel comfortable and display their best selves across many lines of difference.
Finally, if you feel under-qualified, remember that we’ve all been there too. Here are some great posts on building up the courage and skills to apply for your dream job, from awesome people who have worked at KA: