You may not recognise our name, but Schibsted Media Group technologies and companies empower people every day, in every corner of the world.
Schibsted employs 6,800 people across 30 countries worldwide, all dedicated to helping our 200 million users discover, build and connect. Our customers use us to sell new and old sofas, keep up with current affairs, check the weather, find a carpenter, compare prices, follow the latest fashions...and so much more!
Our brief is to challenge the status quo, keep an open mind and create the tools, platforms and services of tomorrow, so we want attitude as well as technical knowledge. With 200 million monthly active users we are already harnessing huge amounts of data to provide insights on a global scale. Now we are building the common global product platforms and technology infrastructure necessary to create data and identity-based ecosystems.
- Apply expertise in quantitative analysis, machine learning, and data mining to a variety of product areas including personalized recommendations, classifiers, user growth, and A/B experimentation.
- Partner closely with product teams to deliver insights and recommendations that inform product direction and strategy.
- Communicate findings and results to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Assess the value of new data sources and help drive the collection of new data.
- Design and interpret the results of product experiments.
- PhD or Masters degree (or equivalent) in a relevant technical field such as computer science, statistics, or operations research.
- Extensive experience applying quantitative approaches to practical problems.
- Comfort with relational databases and SQL.Experience with at least one scripting language such as Python (preferred), Ruby, or Perl.
- Experience with statistical programming environments like R or Python/Pandas.
- Experience with Scala is a plus.
- Experience with large data sets, distributed computing, and MapReduce a plus.
Teams we are building right now, that you could join as a Data Scientist;
- Data Platform
- User Modeling
- Image Recognition
- Natural Language processing (NLP)
Our Data Scientists are working on the next generation of user modeling and data products that are at the heart of Schibsted’s strategy for accelerating user growth and providing users with relevant, personalized content. We offer one of the largest and most diverse data sets in the world and we work with the latest data technologies (Spark, AWS services, Cassandra, Kafka). The Data Science team’s ambition is to become one of the leading sources of innovation in applied machine learning and artificial intelligence in the world.
Data Science is a multidisciplinary field that touches everything from back-end infrastructure to front-end app development and UX. At Schibsted that means that data scientists work in cross-functional teams with engineers, UX designers, and product managers. We apply machine learning on user behavior data to predict demographic traits, audience segments, detect abnormal activity, and much more. We use natural language processing and machine learning to find meaning and structure in text and language.
We see data science as an essential area of expertise in product development, so there are many opportunities to contribute to different areas from classified marketplaces to online media and publishing to advertising. At the same time, we also believe that data scientists are at their best when they share ideas, problems, and solutions with each other, and so we are joined together as a unified data science team. While we work in different application areas, we support one another and push each other to constantly learn and perfect our craft.
We are currently located in Oslo, Stockholm, London, and Barcelona. Come join us!