BuzzFeed Audio is seeking a Deputy Director of Audio to help oversee existing Pod Squad productions, develop new podcasts, and think big about audio integration on BuzzFeed’s many platforms. We are looking to expand our current roster of shows, which includes Another Round, No One Knows Anything, Internet Explorer, The Tell Show, and more.
Our ideal candidate is a person with vision for the future as well as an enthusiasm for tackling the day-to-day challenges of a small, award-winning team. You love taking calculated risks and experimenting based on your genuine love of podcasts and understanding of how to grow and engage an audience. You are motivated by, and passionate about, creating an inclusive space for diverse voices, which you understand is crucial, not optional. You will be a key creative and editorial force on the team. This person will work closely with, and report directly to, the Director of Audio.
- Provide editorial oversight on existing shows
- Pitch, research, and book segments for new and existing shows
- Lead production on new projects in development
- Provide team-wide production support as needed
- Identify, nurture, and direct potential talent
- Work with BuzzFeed writers and editors on audio projects
- Assist Director of Audio on strategic partnerships
- Optimize audio for presentation and shareability on social web
- Develop strategies to grow and engage audiences
- Develop show-specific production systems for seamless workflow
- Envision engaging extensions of audio work in other media, such as social, live performance, and video
- Assist Director of Audio with additional tasks as needed
- The job may involve occasional travel
- College or work equivalent, plus 3+ years of work experience in production and development. Audio, podcast and radio experience preferred, but open to those with experience in television, digital video or related media.
- Superb editorial judgment, top-notch skills at story structure, and impeccable ability to generate and identify great tape. A plus if you can pair this with strong technical audio-editing skills (Pro Tools or similar).
- Demonstrated ability to work across genres and formats, such as interview programs, narrative storytelling, news, talk shows, documentary, comedy, etc.
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently, as well as part of a highly collaborative team
- Experience handling logistics at every level of production—you know how to run the show
- Ability to multi-task
- Incredibly detail-oriented
- Has a brilliant understanding of different successful models for podcasting
- A demonstrated ability to create things that people want to share
- Love for culture, journalism and news
- Experience with audio recording in the field and/or engineering a plus
- Experience with live event production a plus
- Experience with video production a plus
Please apply if you...
- Are not a hater!
- Can identify the mass audiences underserved or ignored by mainstream audio storytelling and podcasting
- Get a kick out of organizing a complicated production schedule and workflow into a thing of beauty that will be used for millennia to come
- Can take an hour of raw tape and create a 2 minute masterpiece
- Know how to use sound to enhance a story
- Know how to execute a pitched idea, and pitch an executable idea
- Keep a cool head under pressure
To Apply For This Position:
- Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three examples of your best work. Be sure to tell us what your favorite BuzzFeed podcast is, and why.
- Note that selected candidates will be contacted regarding next steps beginning in late August