BuzzFeed is looking for a talented and creative full-time Deputy Photo Director. 3-5 years of experience in assigning, art directing, and editing photography is required. This is an exciting opportunity to take BuzzFeed photography to the next level. The position reports to the Global Photo Director and involves collaborating with photo editors, writers, designers, and photographers to bring stories to life on BuzzFeed's website and produce original work for emerging social media platforms. The position requires a deputy who is flexible and can easily handle shifting priorities.
This is a full-time salaried position in our New York office and we offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Work with a team of in-house photographers, freelance photographers, and stylists to produce original, creative, fun photographs that people will like and share on Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Facebook, and other emerging platforms.
- Be flexible and easily pivot to meet the needs of shifting priorities
- Help create custom distributed photo content for social platforms
- Pitch and art direct compelling photography projects for celeb, entertainment, and lifestyle categories like hair and beauty, health and fitness, DIY and decor, food and drink.
- Assist Global Photo Director in coordinating the logistics of photo shoots and collaborating with the edit, design, and social teams.
- Maintain budget for original photography projects
- Obsessively track visual trends on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr and experiment with new formats.
- 3-5 years of assigning, art directing, and editing photography is required
- 1-2 years experience managing is preferred
- Demonstrated success capturing an audience on visual social platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest.
- A thorough understanding of the photography equipment and techniques necessary to produce compelling photography in a studio setting is a plus.
- Tons of creative original ideas and the ability to execute ideas and projects from start to finish.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Extremely organized, attention to detail, ability to multi-task.
- A genuine love for and excitement about the internet.
- Strong network of freelance photographers.
Interested candidates should include the following to apply:
- A few short paragraphs explaining why you'd be a good fit for this particular position
- Link to online portfolio
- Links to your social media accounts such as a Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, or personal blog
- A resume