Our mission is to connect the world’s photographers. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
The 500px team is looking for an exceptionally talented, hands-on Design Lead. We’re looking for someone who is adept at combining beautiful design with thoughtful product decisions. As a growth stage company, we are looking for someone who is comfortable moving fast and performing in a multidisciplinary setting.
What You'll Be Doing
- Developing the design roadmap for both the short and long term, collaborating with senior business executives to determine business priority
- Managing the execution against the overall design roadmap based on the product roadmap, maintaining and executing against the roadmap effectively and efficiently
- Responsible for all activities of the design department, including mentoring, support and directly managing a team of 3 designers (product & communications designers)
- Oversee and ensure that the functions of the designers are efficiently and effectively executed, including adhering to established design system framework, methodologies and standards
- Own the user experience and brand design assets across the platform
- Confidently articulate how the design solution answers user needs, business goals, technical constraints, and other project facets
- Work with brand team to ensure 500px brand assets successfully represent brand vision
- Roll up your sleeves and get your hands (quite) dirty with design; while this is a senior role, it is also deep in actual day to day design work
- Lead with effective supervision an experienced design team toward greater creativity
- Evaluate and motivate designers toward continued growth and leading design solutions
- Participate in strategic planning as a member of the 500px senior leadership team
- Provide status reporting of team activities against the roadmap or schedule to the product committee, serving as a focal point to communicate and resolve issues
- Develop reports, dashboards and key tools for tracking KPIs and critical engagement metrics, providing summary of status on a regular basis to key stakeholders across the business line and senior leadership team
- Identify any key issues or risks that impact the meeting of pre-established targets and propose and implement solutions and improvements
- Put design culture first, and work to promote it throughout the organization
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- 8-10 years of professional experience with interaction and visual design for web and mobile app interfaces (ideally in startup environment).
- Strong UI/UX portfolio of pertinent work is required. Please provide a link to your portfolio.
- Experience managing a design team.
- Passionate about creating beautiful user-centric experiences.
- Experience with conceptual design and rapid prototyping.
- Empathy: for your users and teammates
- Perseverance: when the need arises you are willing to work through messy details with your team to achieve success
- Ability to cut through any issue, identify the salient points, and rally a team around addressing them
- Self-driven: you have an owner’s mentality in the way you constantly seek out ways to help the company and the product improve
- High standards: for yourself, your work, and your colleagues
- Exceptional communication skills
- Experience with Agile and Scrum methodologies
- A love of photography
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches, snacks and drinks
- Great health and dental benefits
- Professional development opportunities
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: < 30 min conversation with a hiring manager.
- In-person interviews: 3-5 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.