At Canva we work to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creation.
Since launching in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, and the journey has only just begun. Join Canva, and be part of this adventure. We are one of the world’s fastest growing startups.Your colleagues, like you, will be the top of the industry. It is important to us that we create a workplace that you love coming to.
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed and constantly improved to let you do your best work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Just check out our Twitter stream.
Engineering is a core part of who we are. You will work with a carefully selected team of ex-Google, VMware, ThoughtWorks, and Atlassian engineers. The team takes pride in its focus on engineering fundamentals. We strive to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand, and to strike a measured balance between getting things done and long term maintainability. The team is tight, with no big egos, and welcomes engineers to come and join in on the adventure. Engineers frequently host sessions where a new idea or software engineering practice is discussed — this ensures that everyone in the team is constantly learning.
We work hard to get our fundamentals right across the business. Consequently, the frontend code base is constantly being improved and optimised so new features can be implemented easily. We also have a flat structure where engineers are invited to comment on the direction their peers are taking on features. When a new feature is being built, engineers review each other’s code; this ensures that knowledge is shared and it doesn’t need to be reworked. You can find more about our engineering practices in this blog article.
Design Systems needs an engineer to be able to start the design systems team. Design System is our component library which is currently being maintained and worked on by lots of people in the company but it lacks consistency and a maintainer that rallies and coordinates between the stakeholders. This engineer would help to bootstrap the creation of new components in and provide guidance to other teams on when/where/how components should be created.
- "Gets" design or at least has some design sensibilities
- Able to work autonomously
- Comfortable starting as a follower (lots of items in the backlog which need doing) with the aim of moving towards a lead position helping to decide the outcome and direction for the team
- Strong communicator and stakeholder management (will need to work in conjunction with many other teams prioritising key components and guiding other teams on how to make consistent components that can be added to the design system)
- Ideally some experience working on design systems or maintaining components within a complex engineering environment
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Minimum two years experience
- Computer science fundamentals
- Experience with SVGs
- Experience with graphics programming
- Experience with GLSL / WebGL
- Experience with Java
- An interest in interaction design
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a social are, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
- Annual salary: $80,000 to $130,000. Plus Superannuation and Stock Options
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We are looking for people who love technology and can bring creativity when solving challenging problems. We ensure that the Canva workspace is setup for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so. Do you know we have a chef, Song and Chris, that make fantastic lunches for the team? Follow them on Instagram here to see what has been whipped up today: https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/