Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We're creating the codebase, compiler, and debugger for biology. We have built a strong set of internal software tools, automation, and processes that enable high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. We want to make them better, more powerful, more scalable, and more effective, while making them easier to use, manage, and deploy.
We’re looking for motivated and driven DevOps Engineers to join our rapidly growing team. With your software development and Linux operations skills, you will be critical to helping us maintain and scale our cloud infrastructure that deploys and operates Ginkgo’s proprietary scientific software.
Although some previous DevOps experience is a plus, it’s not a requirement. We’re eager to train developers and sysadmins who are excited by the prospect of using the latest tools and methodologies – such as agile, CI/CT/CD, infrastructure as code, compliance as code, and SRE – to help enhance Ginkgo’s synthetic biology platform and achieve our overall mission.
- Assist developers and IT with DevOps operations, helping to scale and deploy our systems both locally and in the cloud
- Apply best practices to ensure fully working test, training, and production environments using Gitlab-CI, Docker, Ansible, Terraform, Cloud Formation, and other tools
- Design, build, and maintain CI/CD, testing, and operations infrastructure for our systems
- Work closely with scientists, IT, and engineers to resolve outages and implement changes to avoid future issues
- Evaluate and leverage AWS cloud and deployment technologies
- Help automate our processes to ensure efficiency, quality, and scalability
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS or MS degree in software engineering or related field, OR equivalent work experience
- At least 2-4 years of coding and/or sysadmin experience, ideally including hands-on application development or operational system administration in a software development organization
- Working knowledge of networking, security, and AWS in a development-through-production environment
- Proven track record of excellent customer service delivery, including working with developers, operators, and users to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve challenging problems
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Familiarity with infrastructure automation tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Terraform, Artifactory, Nexus, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, InSpec, etc. a big plus
- Experience with requirements gathering, design, project planning, and software implementation a plus
- Previous experience working in the life sciences industry a plus
- High level of enthusiasm for working with the best scientists and engineers to further develop Ginkgo’s foundry and help achieve our mission
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.