A successful DevOps Engineer promotes a collaborative and communicative culture between Operations and Engineering by providing efffective automation and instrumentation to improve productivity, reduce risk, and achieve scale. Ideal candidates are highly proficient in Linux and Unix, with familiarity in Windows environments.
- Automate all things (even our one-offs are automated)
- Become proficient in understanding how each software component, system design, and configuration is linked together to form an end-to-end solution
- Align engineering development requirements (including considerations such as compliance) with the capabilities of the infrastructure
- Anticipate future infrastructure needs and offer solutions
- Participate in the design, implementation and ongoing management for both software development and infrastructure operations
- Solve infrastructure and development issues ranging from simple configuration changes to complex multi-variable performance problems
- Drive requirements for cross-department automation and tooling
- Serve on the on-call team and as an escalation contact for service trouble incidents
- Design optimizations to meet the scalability and performance needs of the organization
- Offer assistance in scaling and optimizing build and continuous integration systems
- Enhance existing monitoring and reliability metrics across our platform
- Design and write software to make your own life easier
Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years experience of Linux administration, configuration, and in-depth trouble shooting (RHEL/CentOS or Ubuntu) with strong knowledge of fundamentals and the ability to performance tune the kernel, file-system and VMs
- 3+ years administering mission-critical and large-scale, Internet-facing web applications
- Very strong programming ability in at least one scripting or shell language, such as Ruby, Python, or Perl and Bourne/Bash shell script
- Experience with Agile or Lean Software development environments
- 3+ years of system monitoring (Nagios, Splunk, NewRelic, Sensu, etc.)
- 2+ years of administering database clusters (PostgreSQL,MySQL,MongoDB, Cassandra but not necessarily as a DBA)
- 1+ years of experience with Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, or other automation framework
- Proven ability to scale applications horizontally with an engineering team
- Experience with and daily use of SCMs, particularly Git
- Disaster recovery planning and implementation
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills
- Practical knowledge of networking for cloud-based Internet application (load balancing, reverse proxying, DNS, CDN’s, firewalls, security applications)
- 2+ years experience of administering Unix and Unix variant systems
- 2+ years writing recipes with Chef (including LWRPs and reusable libraries)
- 2+ years of experience writing useful test-kitchen integration tests
- 1+ years of experience with continuous integration servers, such as Jenkins or Bamboo
- 2+ years experience of administering Ruby on Rails applications
- 2+ years with vSphere, XenServer or similar private cloud systems
- 2+ years with AWS, Google Compute, or similar public cloud IaaS provider
- Experience with Agile or Scrum development environment
- Strong understanding of Information Security compliance, including SOC-2 or PCI compliance preparation
- Knowledge of cluster administration (Kafka/Spark/Hadoop/Mongo/ElasticSearch)
- Storage administration (NetApp, EMC)
- Experience working with containers (Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon ECS etc.)
At Payoff we’re focused on working with everyone’s best interest in mind. We believe in taking care of our employees, eating great food, having a sense of humor, getting things done, and always putting the customer first (except in this list).
At Payoff we’re always working on making big changes in consumer financial services, and big changes take big efforts. We need team players, innovators, and leaders who will work hard to help us build and grow.
Perks & Benefits
- Employee (and family) medical benefits paid 100% by Payoff!
- Generous vacation policy – rested employees are happy and productive, so go to your kid’s basketball game!
- All the single-origin, micro-batch roasted coffee you can drink (or tea if that’s your thing)
- Craft Beer Thursdays – we love to mingle and enjoy great brews!
- Smart and FUN work environment