Synthego is a genome engineering innovation company. Our automated, full-stack genome engineering platform enables broader access to CRISPR to accelerate basic scientific discovery, uncover cures for diseases, and develop novel synthetic biology applications to improve and prolong life. Automating these platforms is no cakewalk, though. Any given order moves through dozens of instruments, and our Halo and Eclipse factories can manage throughput in the thousands. All of our instruments, databases, and analysis servers need to live on robust infrastructures that can scale with a rapidly growing company.
Synthego moves fast. New technologies, instruments, workflows, and optimizations are constantly introduced, fueling our ever-growing pursuit of cutting-edge products. Consequently, our software teams must also move fast. We are looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer to join our core software team to help us bring our infrastructure to the next level. As we continue to scale our automated labs, we need to smoothly grow the infrastructure that supports them. We are looking for someone to support and extend our systems so that our labs can seamlessly and securely scale to many times their current size.
What You'll Do
- Maintain cloud infrastructure and DevOps at Synthego: Build on our existing systems for automated deployments, service reliability and monitoring
- Deploy a variety of microservices using Docker, infrastructure-as-code with Terraform, deployment pipelines in Github Actions
- Manage on-premises (vSphere and bare metal) and cloud (AWS) virtual server infrastructure (Linux and Windows) and container orchestration (Docker/ECS/EKS)
- Deploy and scale redundant database clusters (DynamoDB and PostgreSQL)
- Audit our monitoring / alerting systems and take them to the next level (DataDog)
- Build tooling to help our development team move faster: containerization, secrets management, workflow improvements
- Knowledge of GCP and GKE is a plus.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 3+ years DevOps experience
- Experience managing AWS services including: EC2, ECS, RDS, ElastiCache and Cloudfront
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and Terraform
- Previous experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Comfortable troubleshooting mission-critical services
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration
- Experience with Linux and familiarity with Windows
- Experience with high-availability microservices
- Fluent in Python
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with complex networking and DNS (Cloudflare, Active Directory DNS)
Nice to Have
- Experience with queueing services and architectures
- Experience with technologies we use: Vault, Ansible, Nginx, Github Actions, CircleCI, TeamCity, Ubuntu, Gemfury, Github Packages, OpenID Connect
- Experience with GitOps (ArgoCD)
- Experience with deploying and maintaining Apache Airflow
- Experience with incident management process: Root cause analysis, Post-mortem processes
- Familiarity with Cloud Security
Company Perks & Benefits
- Generous equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k Program
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Synthego is a genome engineering company that enables the acceleration of life science research and development in the pursuit of improved human health.
The company leverages machine learning, automation, and gene editing to build platforms for science at scale. With its foundations in engineering disciplines, the company’s platforms vertically integrate proprietary hardware, software, bioinformatics, chemistries, and molecular biology to advance basic research, target validation, and clinical trials.
By providing both commercial and academic researchers and therapeutic developers with unprecedented access to cutting-edge genome engineering, Synthego is at the forefront of innovation, accelerating the development of truly engineered biology.