As a DFM Project Engineer, you're primarily responsible for working with customers across an array of industries including aerospace, defense, commercial, automotive, industrial and medical devices. It is critical that you have the ability to evaluate manufacturability of customer designs and recommend solutions utilizing Xometry’s extensive portfolio of technologies.
- You will use your expertise to develop and implement the applicable sourcing strategy.
- Once an order is placed, you will be responsible to aid production in troubleshooting order execution to ensure customer success.
- To do this, you must interface directly with machine shops, sheet metal fabrication shops, internal staff members and management, as well as customers.
- Additionally, you will take on special projects related to expanding the capabilities of our manufacturing partner network, working with OEM equipment makers, and our internal team of experts to improve our core competencies.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Manufacturing Engineering, technical or related field preferred.
- 2-4 years in engineering and manufacturing environment
- 1-2 years of manufacturing engineering experience with a focus on CNC machining and/or sheet metal fabrication required.
- Knowledge will include optimum equipment selections, process cycle times, material limitations and costs and geometry limitations.
- Experience working with suppliers, OEM equipment providers, and customers
- Knowledge of GD&T and inspection/QA practices required.
- Experience with 3D CAD modeling software is necessary (SolidWorks preferred).
- Ability to identify design for manufacturing (DFM) issues based on CAD models and drawings.
- Design for manufacturing of CNC and 3D Printed components is a plus.
- Ability to work with customers on the fly and solve problems quickly.
- Exceptional communication skills
- Able to work with Partners in troubleshooting production issues and answering partner questions.
- Able to work well in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Specific Information to Note:
- Knowledge of all CNC machining and/or sheet metal fabrication practices for both high and low volume runs required including but not limited to:3/4/5 axis milling
- Turning with live tooling
- Familiarity with different types of post-processing/plating finishes for machined parts.
- Familiarity with specialty processes (i.e. wire and sinker EDM, lapping, grinding, honing, and gun drilling) is a plus.
- Material selection knowledge is a plusUse of press brake technologyLaser/plasma/water jet cutting
- Welding of various materialsHydraulic press (stamping) technologyProgressive die (stamping) technology3D printed tooling, Hard tooling, etc.
is the largest marketplace for custom manufacturing, connecting customers with optimal manufacturing solutions through proprietary AI algorithms. Xometry provides on-demand manufacturing services and industrial supply materials to a diverse customer base, ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies. Our nationwide network of over 3,000 partner manufacturing facilities enables us to maintain consistently fast lead times while offering a broad array of capabilities, including CNC machining, 3D printing, sheet metal fabrication, injection molding, and urethane casting. Xometry's customers include BMW, Dell Technologies, General Electric, and NASA.
If this job isn’t for you but you have a friend who may be a perfect fit - share this job with them!
Xometry is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Xometry participates in E-Verify and after a job offer is accepted, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.