Headspace was founded in London in 2010 by Rich Pierson and Andy Puddicombe. Originally conceived as a meditation events company, Headspace has evolved into the world’s most popular meditation app. Using proven mindfulness techniques, it will teach you how to train your mind for a healthier, happier life. Sessions take as little as 10 minutes a day, and you can do them wherever and whenever you like. Our app has now been downloaded more than 5 million times in 150 countries, helping so many people to enjoy the benefits of a clearer calmer mind. Today, we’re ready to embark on the next phase in our evolution: to become the world’s most comprehensive guide to health and happiness.
Last summer we completed a $30mm Series A funding round. The round was led by The Chernin Group, with significant participation from other media and tech leaders including Jim Breyer (via Breyer Capital), Allen & Co, William Morris Endeavor, Freelands Ventures (the venture arm of Elisabeth Murdoch) and Advancit (the venture arm of Shari Redstone). Rounding out the raise were a handful of influential individuals including Jeff Weiner (LinkedIn CEO), Jessica Alba, Ryan Seacrest, and Jared Leto.
You can read more about us in Fast Company, the Los Angeles Times or the New Yorker .
About the Director, Communications & Public Relations @ Headspace:
- You love PR in every form.
- You’ve been in the business of communications for years, but never cease to be truly fascinated by how ideas travel across mass media, are adopted by communities and go on to change culture.
- Now you’re ready to take your talent and passion for PR and apply it to a brand and company helping to increase the health and happiness of the world.
- Headspace has built a community of 6 million users largely through word of mouth and PR. We pride ourselves on building best in class products that people want to tell their friends about.
- To continue growing and furthering our mission, we seek an accomplished and incredibly collaborative Director of Public Relations to head up consumer and business media relations, strategy and placement. In this role, you will report into the VP, Marketing and partner closely with world-class creative, media and product teams to lead all PR efforts. You will also be responsible for the proactive development of holistic PR campaigns that amplify brand efforts (i.e. product news, consumer content, etc.) and further leadership and growth in the category and in culture at large.
How your skills and passion will come to life at Headspace:
- Define and drive the Headspace global consumer, tech and health PR strategy
- Manage Headspace PR agency partners
- Create and execute strategic PR plans including press positioning, messaging, media relations strategies, creative collaboration strategies, fresh pitch ideas, and high-impact events
- Develop and drive the strategy for establishing Andy as the leading global authority on meditation, working closely with Andy’s publicist
- Help manage and maintain Andy’s personal brand and work out a strategy for making his press story work seamlessly with the brand
- Create and manage influencer outreach strategy
- Develop a science PR strategy working closely with our Science team to help launch new product initiatives and research breakthroughs
- Act as a key company ambassador to many of our most important external constituencies – press, bloggers, influencers, celebrities
- Design and manage proactive cross-channel communication campaigns that further our brand mission and support our business goals
- Tell the stories of our loyal and committed community. Drive plans for further engagement amongst fans
- Help make the Headspace orange dot as famous as possible
- Help shape and support the social media strategy for Andy and Headspace
- Collaborate with Business Intelligence teams to develop metrics and processes that help us measure PR impact and reinforce our culture of achievement and accountability
- Maintain strong knowledge and curiosity about changing trends in culture, technology and health and how they may impact Headspace and the broader mindfulness and health categories
- Provide strong leadership within the integrated marketing team and beyond
What you’ve accomplished:
- 10+ years of diversified professional experience within the PR/Communication field including, but not limited to, areas of specialty such as: Health & Wellness, Consumer Technology, Lifestyle, etc.
- Client-side and agency-side experience is a plus.
- Solid craft skills and track record for innovation in all core areas:
- Corporate and brand communication strategy
- Media relations and outreach
- Written and verbal communication
- Influencer strategy and engagement
- Social media and emerging media
- Performance tracking and reporting
- Access to world-class journalists and personalities in broadcast, print and social
- Proven excellence in collaboration, leadership and mentorship.
- Passionate, mission-driven and inspiring brand ambassador.
- Global and/or multicultural expertise is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree
How to get started:
If you’re excited by the idea of seeing yourself as the Director, Communications & PR at Headspace, please apply with your CV and a cover letter that best expresses your interest and unique qualifications.