For more than 20 years - from the early days of DVD to Streaming to globally creating our own original content seen by over 151 million paid members in 190+ countries - Netflix has sought to entertain and bring joy to the world.
From the beginning, data has been core to Netflix’s strategy. As Netflix continues to scale, the Director of Core Data Engineering will manage a central data engineering function, lead core data engineering programs, build data central DE tools, and provide cross-functional engineering leadership within the Data Science and Engineering organization. As part of our core leadership team, you will help Netflix efficiently scale our use of data in executing on our business strategy.
You will pursue these challenges as an engineering thought leader and key executive partner in Netflix’s Data Engineering and Platform organizations. Beyond building and leading a world class team, you’ll debate and influence critical business and technical strategies to support Netflix’s use of data in becoming a top Internet TV provider.
What will fill your days
- Recruiting: You are constantly on the lookout for talent and have a knack for recognizing and attracting top-tier leaders & engineers to your team. You understand the importance of building an amazing team with diverse perspectives and the value it brings to the overall company.
- Feedback & Development: You see people’s strengths/weaknesses and are both gifted and courageous in talking with them about it.
- Visionary: You intuitively understand and connect business with technology. You leverage this skill to lead your team by providing relevant context and inspiration.
- Technical Leadership: You use your years of engineering experience to help Netflix advance our data engineering practices through technical leadership, prioritization, and innovation.
- Partnership: You establish strong relationships with Netflix’s Data Engineering and Data Platform organizations.
Character & Qualities that will help you Succeed
- You’re willing to risk rejection. When you fail, you learn and are willing to try again.
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and sharing a new and diverse perspective.
- You’re a natural leader but your team & colleagues see your humility.
- You’re a creative revolutionary, forward thinking, & pro-active.
- You possess a solid sense of business acumen.
- You actively listen and communicate well. You are naturally conscious of who needs to know what by when.
- You’re allergic to micromanagement. You prefer to give context, delegate, and watch amazing people exceed your hopes and expectations.
- You are passionate about big data technologies (e.g. Spark/Flink/Kafka/Hadoop/Pig, etc…) and enjoy solving the challenges presented by processing data at extreme scale.
- You are experienced working with data from various business functions, at different levels of scale, within various architectures & data models.
- You rely on both your software engineering and data modeling experience in delivering data engineering solutions for the business.
- You are familiar with SQL and reporting tools and are analytically savvy.