Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
This is a 2 year Fixed Term Contract based in London, UK.
Environmental Defense Fund has growing work in India with teams in Delhi, Indore, and Bihar. The Director, India Operations role is a key member of EDF’s operations team for India, with the main reporting line to Global Enterprise and close oversight from the Chief Advisor, India. This role will advise on the overall operational aspects of the business.
The Director, India Operations requires a confident and experienced leader who can foresee risks and issues and take early action to avert them. They will ensure that the highest standards are operated and maintained in EDF’s Indian activities and will act as chief operations architect and problem solver working with colleagues across the US and India to allow EDF India to fulfill its role as an agent for change through its science, economics and policy advocacy.
The position holder will ensure EDF India has the appropriate operational policies and systems to function effectively both within local laws and practices and within the wider EDF organization.
Combining experience of overseeing operational start up and ongoing issues, the Director, India Operations will be systematic in approach and delivery, able to build trust and credibility quickly with a range of stakeholders. The Director reports to the Senior Director, Global Operations and will be a member of the Global Operations team, working in close collaboration with the staff of the Global Mission team for India and with other partners across the Global Enterprise Division. With strong communication skills, they will be able to engage and inspire at all levels of the organization and have a commitment to continuous improvement in all aspects of work, demonstrating a laser focus on achieving results.
EDF seeks a highly experienced individual with common sense at the core. This person will be comfortable interacting with EDF’s senior leaders, knowing instinctively and through quick learning of the organizational landscape when to escalate and share information. Even when answers to issues aren’t known, the Director, India Operations will know what questions to ask and how to seek advice in the search for solutions. Further expectations of this role will be to proactively identify what could go wrong and intervene to mitigate risk and resolve issues.
This person will possess an outstanding eye for detail and self-organization skills who doesn’t allow even small issues to get overlooked. The Director, India Operations will be highly adept at horizon scanning and being proactive in assessing potential problematic issues and taking action to avert. We need a nuanced and resilient diplomat, comfortable representing the interests of EDF India effectively within the larger EDF group globally, recognizing the different approaches required in different regions and across time zones.
- Deliver the strategic development and implementation of India operations and processes.
- Develop, embed and maintain appropriate and effective systems, policies and procedures across the India team and ensure they are effectively communicated and followed. Advise key stakeholders of when the systems, policies and procedures for the Indian organisations need to diverge from those employed by the US or other global EDF entities.
- Lead the operations function as EDF grows in India to ensure flawless set-up and operational infrastructure, including offering needed advice on operational policies, procedures and reporting in areas including facilities and IT, and advise and coordinate with operational partners on budget, accounting and auditing, payroll and HR.
- Identify process and service gaps and develop solutions.
- Provide a local perspective in discussions about new EDF-wide policies, procedures and systems.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other EDF departments to ensure EDF India has the Operational, Finance and HR support needed for success.
- Partner as needed with the Lead Advisor, India Enterprise, Chief Advisor India and in-house and external counsel on regulatory and compliance matters.
- Track progress of ongoing operational initiatives in India, troubleshoot challenges, identify and implement mitigation steps.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant duties as assigned.
- 10+ years direct operational experience required. Advanced degree in a related field preferred and may substitute for 2-4 years of the experience requirement.
- Extensive experience overseeing operations and compliance gained in a range of complex organizational settings.
- Commercial acumen in managing critical support functions combined with solid financial literacy.
- Experienced collaborative leader with strong interpersonal skills.
- Solid business and financial acumen with strong problem solving, strategic-thinking and analytical skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills with the ability to present issues in a clear and concise way.
- Demonstrated understanding of Indian operational policies, procedures and customs.
- Experience working with a start-up organization is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and influence the work and outcomes of team members.
- Ability to innovatively solve operational problems and proactively identity potential opportunities for efficiency and increased productivity.
- Ability to interface well with all programs/departments in the organization and to represent the India Region in a highly professional manner.
- Proven track record of executive and strategic management in a complex organisational environment.
- Verbal and written fluency in English.
- Experience in engaging with regulatory bodies, stakeholders, and professional advisers.
- A commitment to providing exceptional standards and proven ability to innovate in improving processes and changing culture.
- Experience of working well independently and collaboratively with different stakeholder groups to ensure that products and services meet customer needs.
- Experience in overseeing overseas operations via third party service is preferred.
- Experience of successfully leading and managing the inter-relationships between different teams across multiple time zone to achieve overall vision and objectives.
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
£80,000 - £90,000 GBP/Yr.
How to Apply