At Life.Church, we exist to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Christ. It’s been our mission since 1996 and has guided us every day. Leading people isn’t just an expectation; it’s a necessity. It’s a cornerstone of our culture. That's why we’re always seeking leaders—leaders like you—to bring your skills to life. We are one church meeting in multiple locations, and we want to help you become the person God made you to be.
The Director of Accounting and Tax is primarily responsible for leading the Accounting and Tax Team to ensure organizational financial records are accurate, properly maintained, and in full compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles(GAAP). This role will also oversee the production of periodic financial reports, maintain a comprehensive system of internal control processes, and manage tax liabilities for the organization.
The Finance Team partners with the organization to facilitate the financial reporting needs of Life.Church
, including payroll, accounts payable, giving operations, accounting, forecasting, and data analytics. We equip the organization with the tools needed to plan for, understand, and steward the resources God has provided for our ministry.
What You'll Do
- Provide support for direct reports through coaching and setting expectations.
- Provide ideas, direction, and resources for implementing key strategies.
- Research and implement new or updated accounting standards to stay compliant with GAAP.
- Oversee the preparation, review, and analysis of the monthly financial statements.
- Prepare presentation material on key financial metrics for executive leadership.
- Coordinate tasks for closing financial statements each month.
- Review reconciliations performed by the Accounting Team to ensure accuracy.
- Support the organization in tax compliance, including property and sales tax filing, renewal, and submission.
- Prepare and provide necessary documentation and support for internal and external audits.
- Oversee and maintain internal control measures, ensuring ongoing compliance and effectiveness.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the company’s accounting systems.
- Continuously identify opportunities to enhance financial reporting processes and systems, ensuring efficiency and accuracy in compliance with GAAP.
Skills Needed to Succeed
- Ability to self-motivate, make independent decisions, and problem-solve with innovation.
- Effective at multi-tasking and time management to meet strict deadlines while remaining flexible and open to change.
- Excellent verbal, written, and oral communication skills to clearly explain complicated processes and foster partnerships.
- Effective at process and organizational management to coordinate, structure, and provide vision to projects.
- Strong leadership skills and understanding of developing and guiding others.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and other accounting standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- Preferred 3+ years of related experience.
- CPA certification or eligibility preferred.
Benefits We Offer
- Paid parental leave, including maternity, paternity, and adoption leave.
- Generous employer-paid leave for the use of vacation, sick time, and other qualifying reasons.
- Innovative and comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance that provides team members with useful resources and savings to navigate their holistic health.
- Life insurance policy provided for all staff members at 2x annual salary at no cost. Additional life insurance coverage is available to purchase.
- Short-Term and Long-Term disability is covered at 100% for full-time qualified staff members.
- Comprehensive wellness and mental health benefits allow staff to proactively invest in their physical and emotional health.
- Generous 401(k) retirement plan allowing a team member to have up to 12.5% (including employee contribution, employer match, and employer discretionary contribution) contributed into their account in their first year. It doesn’t stop there—the more years on staff, the greater the investment!
- $160 annually in development dollars for team members to invest in their professional growth.
- Casual dress and work environment.
- Flexible work schedule.
- And much more!
Our Beliefs, Culture, and Commitment to Diversity
At Life.Church, every staff member, and intern is a minister and is expected to engage in the church's ministry fully. We consider ministry readiness and an individual’s capacity to represent Life.Church’s beliefs as a minister during the selection process for all staff and intern positions. An essential function within every position held by a staff member or intern at Life.Church is to uphold and represent the beliefs of Life.Church. Learn more about what we believe at Life.Church
While we unite around our mission, we know unity doesn’t mean uniformity. Our calling is too great, and our mission is too important not to be intentional about strengthening our team through diversity. We know that diverse perspectives in race, ethnicity, background, age, and gender are essential to reaching the world for Christ. To learn more about how we strengthen our team through diversity, visit our careers page
All data collected in our application process, from resume collection to application questions, is used for recruitment purposes only.