BuzzFeed is looking for a smart, detail-oriented person to serve as a Director of Accounting on the corporate team. This person will report directly to the Corporate Controller. This person will require strong leadership skills to manage the day-to-day operations of the accounting team including the period-end close processes.
This is an ideal position for an individual who has gained strong experience in a public accounting setting as well as in the private sector and now seeks to apply those skills to a fast-growing company. The ideal candidate must be comfortable in a dynamic start-up environment, will bring energy and passion to everything he/she does, and will not be afraid to roll up his/her sleeves to tackle challenging assignments.
This job is full-time, based in New York. We offer competitive compensation and equity.
- Assist with the management of core accounting processes/functions including general ledger, cash, accruals, fixed assets, foreign exchange and consolidation
- Review account reconciliations, journal entries, and accruals, prepare variance analysis and ensure accounting activities are well supported and documented
- Assist with the management of the month/quarter/year end close process in accordance with GAAP
- Manage and maintain the company chart of accounts
- Document and implement required operational changes resulting from new GAAP and SEC rules
- Assist in defining and drafting company accounting policies and ensuring compliance with those policies
- Develop and improve processes to ensure best practice for a rapidly growing business
- Work with business stakeholders to improve accuracy and timeliness of inputs for key financial processes
- Lead audit preparation and be the primary contact for auditors
- Develop reports to support financial planning and analysis of financial data
- Mix of Public accounting and Private company experience
- Experience working with NetSuite or other cloud-based ERP systems preferable
- Big 4 Accounting experience preferable
- 8+ years of experience; experience as a manager is a must
- Strong SOX, GAAP and SEC reporting experience preferred
- BS/BA in Accounting and CPA
- High level of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Detail oriented and controls focused
- Proven track record of leadership with a keen ability and desire to mentor staff on career development