Voatz is a high-growth, venture-backed company based in Boston, Massachusetts. We are an eclectic, passionate group of people working to change democracy by changing the way the world votes. Backed by cutting-edge technology, the Voatz mobile voting platform has been used in more than 50 elections, voting events and locations, with more in store for this year.
We are looking for a passionate, driven, and strategic Director of Communications & Media Relations to support Voatz’s integrated communications program and be part of an agenda-setting, fast-moving team at the forefront of accessible elections.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the role earned media plays in creative, national, and impactful campaigns at the intersection of public affairs and technology. The candidate must also have a strong track record of developing narratives, fostering relationships with media and influencers, writing and placing strong stories across media and channels.
The candidate will have an advantage if you have any of the following:
- Passion for and experience in public affairs, political campaigns, or in particular election-related issues, and/or journalism
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong track record of drafting creative pitches, pitching reporters, and placing in all types of media outlets
- Strong strategic planning and editorial calendar planning skills
- Experience working with advocacy groups, specifically disability rights groups and/or overseas military services groups
The candidate should be able to adapt to dynamic situations, act proactively, and maintain focus on strategic imperatives. The candidate should also have experience in building consensus with internal stakeholders and partners.
- Working directly with the Chief of Staff and CEO, senior staff members, advisors and partners to develop media vision and strategy for the company
- Media planning and media pitching, continuously develop, maintain and strengthen relationships with reporters, producers and editorial decision-makers at local, national and international media outlets.
- Prepare and distribute news releases, announcements, fact sheets, and other printed, filmed or recorded materials to the media
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with reporters, including print, broadcast, and digital media, and support spokespeople in responding to press inquiries and outreach
- Identify situations and opportunities requiring rapid communication response and work with staff to address it in a timely manner
- Manage media relations during disaster response efforts
- Maintain and expand an up-to-date press list
- Leverage relationships at top media outlets to generate agenda setting stories
- Work hand-in-hand with partners to align strategic initiatives, integrate smart media thinking, and leverage resourcing into all of our programs
- Research potential content/distribution partners
- Participate in creative brainstorms and provide media counsel
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of direct experience in a media relations role, with strong preference for political campaign or elections experience
- Expert in media planning and media pitching both national and international media outlets
- Major agency and crisis communications experience also preferred
- Experience managing outside agencies and internal staffs of more than 5
- Strong existing media relationships within the business, technology or political verticals
- Superior verbal and written communications skills
- Outstanding project management and prioritization capability; demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Creative approach to pitch and story development
- Strong working knowledge of web tools/platforms and how people use them
- Excellent interpersonal skills including relationship building, with experience resolving issues across internal/cross-functional group
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, high growth environment, setting and achieving “stretch” goals
- Skilled in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint at an intermediate level
- BONUS: Experience with and knowledge of media coverage and reporter landscape for elections, voter rights, technology, and/or cybersecurity
- Full-time role based in Boston.
- Submit your application to [email protected], including:
- Cover Letter answering the following:
- What interests you the most about Voatz and why are you the best for the role?
- In three words, how would a colleague describe you?
- Writing Sample (i.e. press release, blog post, speech, clip, comms strategy, etc.)
Voatz is an equal opportunity employer.