Job Title: Director of Creative Strategy
Work Location: New York, NY
Start Date: ASAP
Recently named one of WorkLife’s 50 Best Places to Work and one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, Whalar is a leading global Creator Company.
Whalar empowers creators, brands, and platforms to tap new areas of innovation and drive business growth together. We do this through our six divisions: brand partnerships, talent management, proprietary technology, a creator-centric venture studio, a gaming studio, and a physical campus for creators. As a result, we have the best understanding, the most access, and the earned trust of creators. We're a curious, diverse team of 300 individuals united by one belief: Everything Is Better With Creators.
We Liberate the Creative Voice. We are Whalar.
About the role:
As the Director of Creative Strategy at Whalar, you will inspire, plan, and execute creator-first visions for brands, collaborating closely with all Whalar teams to bring this vision to life. Reporting directly to the VP, Head of Creative Strategy for North America, you'll play a creative & strategic leadership role, consistently pushing creative boundaries and staying ahead in the continuously evolving landscape of social media, creative advertising, and effectiveness in the creator economy.
In addition to leading key client/new business pitches and shaping innovative campaigns, you'll also pioneer thought leadership in the creator economy. This role is not just a position—it's an opportunity to be part of the team leading the future of creator-first creative strategy.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead and create compelling, creator-led creative and social strategies rooted in compelling actionable insights for key new business pitches
- Provide creative and strategic guidance to key accounts, collaborating with account team to identify creative strategy upsell opportunities and enhance existing relationships.
- Unpack client briefs, identifying the exact strategic outcome and what is required to achieve it
- Proactively generate original, insight-driven strategic ideas, challenging and inspiring creative thinking for all Whalar clients
- Develop clear brief templates and frameworks for team, oversee creator briefings to ensure on-strategy creative output from creators
- Lead productive and inspiring brainstorms and ideation sessions
- Use measured campaign outcomes to continually inform and refine future strategies and ideas
- Stay abreast of emerging social media trends, technologies, and platforms, integrating them strategically into projects and proactive thought leadership
- Conduct thorough research, in collaboration with Research & Insights, collaborate with internal teams, and develop holistic solutions for clients' business challenges.
- Maintain a pipeline of insight-based creative and strategic thinking, contributing to agency expansion and new product offerings.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with teams like Paid Media, Measurement & Analytics, Creator Solutions, and Client Services to develop comprehensive client solutions and ensure our creative strategic visions come to life throughout the execution process
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 8 years experience in creative, social media, and content strategy, with 3+ years of experience in a senior role directly leading a team (creator economy strategy a big plus, but not mandatory)
- Fluency in social media platforms and their unique dynamics, including extensive knowledge of user behaviors and platform features
- Meticulous, culturally rooted creative thinker and practitioner with a keen eye for excellent craft
- Strong analytical skills; comfortable transforming sets of data into actionable insights
- Deep understanding of what makes successful content on social media, from content themes/types, to platform best practices
- Passion and experience in the creator economy and ecosystem and its evolving landscape
- Strong grasp on culture, with a keen understanding of what is relevant and an eye for upcoming trends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced at pitching, and confident when presenting to clients and team members
- You thrive in an environment where collaboration, flexibility and scrappiness are valued
- You have outstanding interpersonal skills, a relentless work ethic, a spirit of collaboration, and a ‘roll up your sleeves’ mentality with the flexibility to support any size project
- You are a curious and enthusiastic self-starter with a problem-solving mindset and a proactive, can-do attitude
- Experience at working in Google Slides/Keynote
The salary range for this role is $125,000 - $150,000 and serves as a general guideline reflecting the potential compensation for the role. The final salary offer will be determined based on a comprehensive evaluation of factors such as the candidate's experience, expertise, alignment with the position's requirements, and ultimately budget approvals.
At Whalar, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) isn't just a statement, it's our collective strength. Our people are our superpower. A diverse team and inclusive leadership have shaped Whalar since our inception in 2016, fueling a constant evolution of growth. We champion a culture of respect and empathy, fostering a sense of belonging that transcends demographics. We hire individuals of all backgrounds and empower them to thrive, challenge stereotypes, and actively break societal barriers.
Whalar provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, so employees can work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs.
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 25 days of PTO + Sick days + Winter break
- Retirement planning with employer match
- Monthly phone/internet reimbursement
- Professional development stipend
- New joiner Home office allowance
- Fertility benefits
- Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave
Calm App subscription (Add up to 4 dependents)
- Volunteer days
- Identity theft protection & Legal assistance
- Company Paid Life & Disability Insurance
- Extra Voluntary Life Insurance Policy
- Voluntary Hospital and Critical Illness Insurance
- Voluntary Pet insurance
- Employee Resource Groups
Whalar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Equal opportunity extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including hiring, promotions, training, working conditions, compensation, and benefits.