If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our vending machines.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our company introduction video or learn more about what it’s like to work here from the people that already do.
About the team and position
We’re looking for an experienced data science and operations research leader with a passion for tackling big problems in logistics and market operations groups within Carvana. Our team is responsible for algorithms and systems that automate and optimize the movement of 25K+ per month vehicles cross-country and last mile using our 9 car hauler and single car hauler fleet. We develop, test, and maintain near real-time algorithms and systems that continuously optimize vehicle and truck movements, delivery dates promised to customers, and availability of appointments on our website.
What you’ll be doing
- Using Your Optimization Expertise you will:
- Apply advanced optimization and operations research skills to Carvana’s rich data.
- Work with product management and operations leaders to understand business problems and convert them to optimization and/or analytics problems
- Develop state of the art and/or novel algorithms to solve business problems in a scalable and maintainable way with your team including
- Heuristic and algorithmic approaches to large scheduling problems
- Linear and Mixed integer programming models
- Combining predictive models with optimization models
- Monte carlo or discrete event simulation modeling
- Develop long term optimization and algorithms strategy to address future needs of the logistics and market operations business groups.
- Being An Amazing leader:
- Lead a talented team of data scientist engineers and data engineers shipping optimization and automation software into production
- Maintain a culture of learning new technologies and algorithms to apply to changing business problems
- Work with the technical leaders on the team to evolve the current optimization architecture to scale to 2M+ car sales per year
- Manage career development and work/life balance for high performing engineers
- Other duties as assigned.
What you should know
- Graduate degree in Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, Applied Math, Statistics, Computer Science, or Engineering with an undergraduate degree in a similar field.
- Three or more years of experience in leading a team of engineers with advanced degrees developing optimization software
- You have developed one or more optimization systems that was used in production and owned responsibility of maintaining those systems for a period of time
- A wholesome understanding of software development methodologies and software architecture required for putting optimization systems into production with scalability, robustness and performance concerns.
- Experience with managing software development cycle and testing and deployment processes of a team of engineers
- Hands on coding experience of optimization and heuristics algorithms and ability to mentor team on code quality and testing approaches
- Hands-on experience with mathematical solvers such as Gurobi, CPLEX or similar.
- Proven ability to communicate ideas and execution plans clearly to both technical and non-technical teams.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.