Engineered to think.
In a world… where science fiction is constantly making promises that actual science can’t deliver. Where phone booths don’t teleport themselves, and zero calorie beer has yet to exist. One company had the courage to stand up and say, “Hey! Science! Where’s my jetpack?”
Hi. We’re Anki.
When our Co-Founders Boris, Mark and Hanns met in the Ph.D program at Carnegie Mellon’s Robotics Institute, they didn’t dream about artificial intelligence that sends you speeding tickets in the mail, or shrink wraps shrink-wrap. They were united by a shared habit of saying “Hey, wouldn’t it be cool if...?” then actually making that cool thing happen.
Now, we know what you’re thinking: we’re just another all black-wearing, white cat-stroking bunch of weirdos designing laser-powered panini machines in an underground lair somewhere. Nope. Anki is made up of non-crazy people building crazy-cool AI and robotics that are reinventing physical entertainment.
Sound crazy? Maybe. But crazy-in-a-good-way. Maybe that’s why Apple CEO Tim Cook introduced our first product, Anki Drive, in his keynote at WWDC. And why top-tier VC’s including Andreessen Horowitz, Index Ventures, and JP Morgan trust us with their money.
Anki is taking years of fancy research and incomprehensible 1’s and 0’s and turning them into exciting things that people actually want. Things they want real bad. Things they didn’t even think could exist.
Imagine impossible interactive experiences. Imagine video games in real life. Imagine jetpacks.
And we’re just getting started.
Excited? Us too. Visit the Anki website and find us on Facebook and YouTube to find out more about Anki - the future of consumer robotics and entertainment.
- Lead software engineering team for company’s flagship Overdrive franchise
- Work alongside creative and product leadership to influence and execute franchise roadmap
- Solve deep technical challenges at the intersection of robotics/AI, mobile, and gaming
- Drive team efficiency and deliverables to increase revenue and profit of franchise
Duties and Responsibilities
- Day-to-day team management of the company’s Overdrive software development team
- Work with company executives, stakeholders, and production staff to define software roadmaps and execute release schedules
- Responsible for building and executing hiring plans, and maintaining a stellar staff
- Work with technical directors, team leads, and production staff to schedule and manage staff assignments
Provide strong technical direction and architectural guidance to support long-term development goals
- Provide technical mentorship, architecture and code reviews, and training for software engineering staff
- Drive cross-team communication and planning between software, firmware, and hardware teams
Implement performance improvement, staff training, and career development programs for Overdrive software engineering staff
Work with production staff and technical leads to refine communication and development processes to help the team scale
Manage a significant portion of the company’s software engineering budget, and work with finance teams to define and meet financial targets
Exceptional hiring manager with substantial experience building teams, with background in sourcing, recruiting, interviewing, and closing stellar engineers, along with building long-term headcount plans
Track record of technical excellence and depth of knowledge of software development methodologies
Experience working across multiple stakeholders to build long-term product roadmaps and execute release targets
- Performance management and career development of engineering staff
- Experience building engineering budgets, and working with financial managers to meet and stick to targets
- Exceptional communication skills that promote a collegial and collaborative culture, with a healthy mixture of positivity, directness, and firmness, along with necessary diplomacy for resolving conflicts and motivating teams
- Plan team building events and activities that promote trust and collaboration between staff.
Comfortable with Agile methods and mobile development. The ideal candidate will have experience with entertainment/game products or integrated products that combine hardware and software/firmware
3-5 years experience working as a professional software engineer and/or individual contributor
3-5 years experience of software team management, with experience overseeing both individuals contributors as well as other software managers. The ideal candidate will have experience managing at different company scales, with recent experience managing a combined team of at least 10-20 staff
10-15 years overall experience in development of production quality shipping software
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field
High-profile engineering leadership position reporting directly to executive team
Competitive salary, stock options and great benefits (health, 401(k), flexible spending accounts, life and ad&d benefits, subsidized public transportation costs, generous vacation)
Great San Francisco office with lots of light and great views, convenient to every mode of mass transit – on wheels, on rails and on water
Regularly scheduled on and off-site team building activities
Start-up environment where you’ll help shape the culture and have a huge impact
Free catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
You get to work on innovative robotics products and challenging problems with some amazingly talented (and fun) people!