Director Price strategy and operations
The mission of Booking.com is to empower people to experience the world. To do so we provide accommodations, but also, for example, rental cars and attractions
Pricing is part of the accommodation business unit. With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business today. To achieve our mission we aspire to provide the best customer experience, offer the broadest selection and have always a great price.
The Pricing organisation is responsible to offer great prices to our customers. Within this organisation we are looking for a Director Price Strategy and Operations to build a deep understanding on Booking.coms price position and its impact on the overall business and translate this into effective strategy and operations within the department. The person in this role is exposed to a wide range of responsibilities & drives special projects on their own (50% of the time), while working closely with the Pricing Leadership Team to drive the Pricing and other leaders in the company (50% of the time).
The Director of Strategy and Operations is critical to the success of the Pricing organisation. The role influences the creation and execution of the vision and strategy of the business and ensures right topics are being worked on, projects are well coordinated, and that results are achieved in line with the strategy. The role should influence the entire scope of Pricing and keep an overview of all the different parts of the business.
Work with Pricing Leadership to set, drive and communicate the pricing strategy (50%)
- Formulate the Pricing vision and strategy, together with the Pricing Leadership team
- Translate overall strategy and individual team objectives into quarterly strategy, objectives and KPI’s on department level that reflect overall priorities
- Set up an effective monitoring cadence to improve transparency and efficiency of execution
- Structure and execute operational and strategic initiatives by gathering and synthesizing relevant data
- Drive pro-active communication within and outside the department (eg reflect priorities in the bi-quarterly updates)
- Lead the preparation of the strategic reviews presented to the Booking.com Leadership team and Booking Holdings Board of Directors
Drive Price insights & special projects (50%)
- Build and drive deep understanding on how discounting and competitive price position drives the overall business
- Drive and build the investment case around new focus area’s for the Pricing department
- Create and drive segment specific approaches for example for China, Home or Australia
- Own overall regulatory strategy and key dependencies to other units and cross Pricing initiatives (for example measurement of effectiveness
Lead and grow a small and effective team with the right capabilities
- A proven thought leader with 8-10 years in consulting or corporate strategy. Expertise in technology, ideally in e-commerce, retail, payments, and/or consumer-facing products is highly desirable.
- Skilled in strategy development, including project scoping, hypotheses development, financial and business modeling, strategic options identification, consensus building, and implementation.Ability to learn fast and adapt to a fast-moving environment
- Successful people leadership track record
- Ability to engage on both strategic topics as well as detailed/operational topics
- Creativity and “out of the box” thinking that drives innovation. The ability to “see around corners” and “connect the dots” that enable the business to proactively drive business, not just respond to it.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexible and a positive attitude
- Self-motivated and able to take ownership of key topics
- Strong executive presence and ability to communicate strategy clearly and simply.
- Ease with executive-level interactions - ability to distill complex business issues and strategies to highlight insights and actionable recommendations in a concise and persuasive manner.
- Ability to interact with people at all levels (from Board members to entry-level employees)
- Ability to lead cross-functional collaboration in a highly matrixed and complex environment. Capable of managing multiple stakeholders with competing priorities.
- Independent thinker with excellent judgment.
- Fluent in English. Superior written and verbal communication skills.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES:
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment, challenges assumptions and norms.
- The ability to “think big” and simultaneously understand and appreciate the details necessary to operationalize overarching strategies and goals; The ability to make sense of complex issues and ambiguous situations.
- Challenges assumptions about “the way things are done”.
- Communicates explicitly what must change, why changes are necessary, and possible outcomes and costs.
- Adjusts communication style to the audience to help them understand and accept the change.
- Encourages people to support and propose changes and ideas.
Building relationships, Collaborating and Influencing
- Establishes relationships and enhances the levels of cooperation, collaboration, and trust that exist between people, interacting with others personally, competently, and effectively. Establishes relationships inside and outside of the organization. Fosters a culture that makes people feel valued and respected and leverages even difficult or tense circumstances to enhance relationships.
- Negotiates with a genuine give-and-take approach, where both acts as true peers and decisions are shared.
- Spends time identifying all stakeholders necessary and meets or connects with all of them, neglecting no one to shape a collective consensus.
- Identifies opportunities to build relationships that will help others achieve their objectives and reaches out to those people or new people.
- Responds resourcefully, flexibly, and positively when faced with new challenges and demands. Willingly and effectively deals with the stress and complexities of various situations. Moves forward productively under conditions of change or uncertainty
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, a “can-do” spirit, a sense of optimism, ownership, and strong commitment to achieving goals and organizational success. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results.
- Checks work of self and others against required quality standards.
- Reviews performance and progress on a regular basis to ensure team is achieving results.
- Tests to see if goals are sufficiently challenging and implements corrective action based on deviations.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment
- Humble yet confident, with high self-awareness
- A strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up the sleeves to get things done
- Self-starter with high energy and drive; fast paced and results driven; forward thinking
- Experimental, ready to learn and open to change
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do
- Data driven
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment
Reward philosophy - designed to give you the best ‘deal’ possible:
- Opportunity to grow professionally and to shape the future of the global travel industry
- A high-scale, complex, world-renowned product
- See the real time impact of your work
- Smart, driven colleagues and a fast-paced, performance driven culture
- Great headquarters in Amsterdam, one of the Europe’s most cosmopolitan cities
- Scope for rapid career development, continuous training and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and great added perks