PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sony PlayStation (SIE) is hiring for a Director of Software Quality Engineering to lead the platform core teams in NorthAm to focus on the automation of testing / regression and overall quality of our core portfolio. We are seeking a leader who has a passion for coaching and mentoring software engineers. In this role you will lead multiple projects across multiple sites. You will need to work closely with multi-functional teams to establish the quality strategy and vision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in a multi-functional setting to the Quality Engineering organization to build quality early into the software development lifecycle and deliver with the highest quality to our customers
- Drive standard methodologies in the areas of development testing, functional testing, automation, performance, and stress testing
- Being a strategic problem solver by adopting a comprehensive perspective that considers data, analytics, customer insights, and different parts of the business when making plans and implementing strategies.
- Collaborate with teams across NorthAm and Japan to establish procedures and processes
- Keep the management team abreast with overall quality status and issues as they develop. Function as the final gatekeeper for the software releases
- Mentor and grow the quality organization into a top performing team. Coach the teams to work outside their comfort zones and provide growth opportunities for team members.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field required
- 10+ years of Software Quality Assurance experience in Automation Testing
- 7+ years of experience managing a quality assurance team and experience building, growing, mentoring a diverse and distributed team
- The position requires strong communication skills and will include work across multiple teams and cultural boundaries
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and quickly establish credibility
- Demonstrated ability to create quality strategy, standards, tools, and methodologies
- Experience with UI test automation to ensure functionality and reliability
- Excellent decision-making, problem-solving, team and time management skills
- Ability to deploy new practices and tooling to keep current with the industry
- Strong eye for business, communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to optimally prioritize and complete tasks in a high-pressure fast paced environment
- You get excited talking about static code analysis, tech debt and catching bugs
- You know how to influence teams and team members that are not reporting to you.
- You are very technical and love platform products
- Strong ability to inspire changes at a large scale, proactive problem solver
- Experience using and contributing to open source software for test automation
- Experience of DevOps in CI/CD and setting up of test environments
- Background in gaming and consumer software
- Fluent in Japanese language
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.