Director/Senior Director - Strategic Planning & Market Research
Zymergen is planning to move the lines in the world of Consumer Care based on its unique and distinctive capabilities applicable to Industrial Biotechnology. This position offers a unique opportunity to participate in that change.
The Strategic Planning & Market Research Director will report to the Senior Vice President Consumer Care. This role will lead the lifecycle planning and develop the short and long term business unit strategy messaging. That will include development of the three-year strategic plan, as well as budget oversight for implementation of key programs. The Director is responsible for building, developing, and leading a small team of product marketing managers and analysts; interpreting market research data and analytics; understanding the market to recommend and determine strategic business areas for future programs in the personal care (skin/hair) and home care space.
You will partner closely with the Sr VP, internal stakeholders, and executives to strategize and develop new product marketing programs. Demonstrated leadership skills and navigating within a matrixed organization are crucial to success. You will “wear two hats” in this assignment, and the pace of work is faster than typically seen.
Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
- Lead process and planning for the BU 3 years roadmap aligned with the Company strategy, creating internal buy-in
- Develop and implement integrated strategic and operational marketing plans aligned with the business unit strategy and priorities
- Manage global Consumer, Market and Competitive intelligence activities including but not limited to:
- Trend analysis
- Global consumer insights and delivery of research projects on time and in budget.
- Voice of the consumer across personal and home care categories
- Reports, Insights and Recommendations based on market research findings
- Develop briefs for new product concept design
- Develop messaging and content roadmap needed to support BU goals and launches working in close collaboration with MARCOM team
- Implement and maintain a measurement framework to ensure ongoing review of operational plans against goals
- Develop wide variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques and tools to design and execute studies that will lead to strategic recommendations
- Manage existing vendors (contracts and costs), and develop relationship with new ones
- Leverage social listening tools to gather insights for teams as they develop new innovations and experiences
- Attend industry events
- Ensure consumer insights sharing with the rest of the organization
- Participate and Partner with MARCOM to develop programs, events, campaigns and initiatives (e.g. From Voice of customers, consumer Client Personas to Channel Campaigns, Product Launches.)
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA in Marketing or Business preferred;
- ~10+ years of strategic or operational marketing experience at a direct to consumer CPG brand (personal care or home care)
- Experience in people/team Management
- Experience working with DTC brand(s) that has experienced hyper growth in personal care (skin care) or home care;
- Experience in a Indie Brand or Start up environment is a plus
- Experience in running and managing Global Market Research projects
- In depth knowledge of market research methodologies (quantitative and qualitative analysis skills)
- Background working with digital media
- Experience in directing or managing vendor and agency relationships
- Executive presence and excellent communications skills.
- Expected travel intensity is roughly 30% but can vary significantly
Key personal characteristics:
- Provide pragmatic leadership with a high sense of urgency. Able to lead, embark and influence. Results driven
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a track record of self-starting for successful outcomes.
- Passionate about beauty, home care markets consumer needs.
- Outstanding communicator and convincing presenter.
- ability to problem solve with minimal guidance in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, and team-oriented environment
- Strong organizational skills and project management experience, capability to work on multiple projects/priorities simultaneously
- Very good interpersonal skills and strong ownership, go deep when needed
- Team player with the strong desire to succeed in a start-up business. Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to bring others along on the journey.
- Organized, detail oriented, structured, love to document and dive head-first into solving business problems but able to think strategically as well. Navigate easily between quantitative analytics and creativity.
- Deep fluency and skilled with Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel and Word, Mintel, Euromonitor, NPD and other market research data.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and headquartered in the SF Bay Area, Zymergen is a science and material innovation company rethinking biology and reimagining the world. A World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, Zymergen partners with nature to create never-before imagined materials and products across industries – from agriculture to consumer electronics, personal care to pharmaceuticals, and more. The company’s materials are in use today, creating value for Fortune 1000 companies and major corporations across the globe. Our clients have sold over $1 billion worth of products using Zymergen microbial strains. For more information visit: www.zymergen.com.