DISCOVERY CUBE LOS ANGELES
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
ABOUT DISCOVERY CUBE LOS ANGELES
Discovery Cube offers hands-on science education that delights, challenges, and encourages kids. Discovery Cube has made a positive difference in thousands of lives for 35 years. Our organization achieves this goal through four core initiatives: STEM proficiency, early childhood education, healthy living, and environmental stewardship. These future-forward initiatives inspire educators, their students, and all of us committed to learning for life.
Our original center in Orange County, as well as our newer Los Angeles campus, gives those seeking immersive, interactive science activities a way to jump into the learning fun. In addition to our campuses, educational outreach programs remain a major part of our mission. Bringing a host of experiences directly to learners is essential to achieving the organization’s core initiatives. It’s a mission that also includes empowering real-world applications by giving learners a chance to make a difference. This vision has made the Discovery Cube a prominent advocate for modern science education over the years. Spotlighting science as a solution and as a force for good is what Discovery Cube so successfully does.
Discovery Cube Los Angeles (DCLA) is seeking a Director of Development that will strategically develop, implement and manage a comprehensive fundraising program, with a concentration on individual giving. The Director of Development will build and expand the existing individual donor pipeline to obtain annual major gifts ($5,000 and above) to support annual operations, active capital campaigns and expansion goals, as well as the overall mission of DCLA. As a senior member of the Development team, the Director of Development will report to the ED and CEO, and partner with them supporting the volunteers who serve on the organization’s Board of Directors and special events committees.
Leadership & Strategy
- Partner with the ED and CEO to design and lead the implementation of annual and long-term fund development plans.
- Perform comprehensive analysis and interpret statistical data to effectively forecast revenue and effectiveness of strategies to ensure the development of programs that will maximize individual gifts.
- Monitor goals and report on execution of annual fundraising plan.
- Manage and monitor all contributions from assigned donors in portfolio and support the CRM database administrator in maintaining accurate data and donor records.
- Support and collaborate with fellow staff members in achieving department goals.
- Plan, manage, executive and track all aspects of the individual giving donor program at DCLA.
- Develop and implement strategies to cultivate and solicit major gifts from individuals, managing a portfolio of 125-150 major gift individual donors and 25-50 new individual donor prospects.
- Develop and execute upgrade strategies for increased giving from individuals.
- Identify and coordinate solicitation opportunities for active Capital Campaigns.
- Create and implement stewardship strategies to recognize new and existing individual donors and pan events/activities to cultivate new prospective individual donors.
- Design individual, customized donor communications and proposals, maintaining regular correspondence and personal contact with assigned donors and prospects.
- Support ED and CEO in their fundraising efforts by preparing them for meetings and events with individuals and drafting appropriate correspondence from the ED and CEO to individual donors ($1K and above.)
- Help to develop all written communications, including solicitations, e-newsletters, website acknowledgements and stewardship communications for individual donor programs.
- Maintain a timely recognition program for all contributions from individual donors with a personal phone calls, hand written cards or contribution letters.
Volunteer Engagement & Events
- Assist in managing any special events as it relates to donor participation or the planning of other cultivation events.
- Help identify, cultivate, train, and motivate all volunteers.
- Partner with the ED, CEO, event committee chairs, and Board members to facilitate optimum collaborations among staff and volunteers.
- Assist Board members and volunteer committee to fulfill their responsibilities effectively and manage annual calendar of events.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in fund development required.
- Keen attention to detail plus solid analytic and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated high level of competency with Microsoft Office software.
- Experience using CRM database preferred.
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends and evenings.
- Commitment to diversity in the work place and in programs.
- Commitment to the mission of Discovery Cube.
- Strong volunteer management and skills in interacting with and working effectively with many types of work styles.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles and practices associated with annual giving, including direct mail, telephone, e-mail, and personal visit solicitation or relevant transferable marketing skills.
- Know how to perform comprehensive analysis and interpret statistical data to effectively forecast strategies and develop programs that will maximize gifts.
- Demonstrate high standards of integrity, credibility, and reliability to articulate the organization’s needs, opportunities, and aspirations with clarity and enthusiasm.
- Make excellent first impression and develop sound, enduring relationships with a broad range of people within the Los Angeles philanthropic community, including high-level community and corporate leaders.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to manage many projects at one time, prioritizing, meeting deadlines and planning for high efficiency.
- Initiative and strong work ethic.
- Driven for results.
- Ability to work independently and proactively.
- Experience in and a commitment to providing excellent customer service to volunteers and donors.
- Ability to lead, recruit, manage, develop, motivate and organize staff and volunteers.
- Ability to analyze and track results.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
Discovery Cube provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range for this position is $100K-$130K. Additional benefits include the following:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Optional supplemental insurance coverage
- Flexible / hybrid work schedule
- 401K with up to 4% match after one year for full-time employees
- 14 Free general admission tickets per year
- 4 Bubblefest tickets plus admission
- 10% of on-site dining and shopping discount
- Employee discounts through ADP
- Accrued paid time off for full-time employees
- 10 paid company holidays