About The Team
Refinery29 elevates and celebrates the voices and experiences of young women, with a passion for service, storytelling and new ideas across six core categories — style, beauty, lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.
Refinery29 is an ambitious, fast-paced brand, driven by a desire to educate, inspire, and give voice to our audience, opening up important new conversations and challenging the status quo. We look to expand the audience and impact of R29, with an eye towards integrity, innovation, and inclusivity.
What Makes an R29er?
The commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to celebrate women for exactly who they are and to be a catalyst to realize the infinite potential in that power. We’re magic makers who see possibilities and turn dreams into reality.
Role x You
Editor In Chief is responsible for the guiding voice, mission, and point of view across all of Refinery29, from on-site articles to social programming and video to ambitious cross-platform content packages, while ensuring that our editorial team is pushed creatively to develop best-in-class work.
You contribute the vision and continuity across all stories while extending consistent high-level direction and tools to the direct managers overseeing day-to-day content, long term planning, and team management. The EIC works closely with leadership to establish best practices, training materials, and messaging to inform and inspire our teams in how they create and grow.
As the unifying force across all content, you are a spokesperson for our audience, an amplifier of underrepresented voices, and a conduit to culture.
- Shape and reinforce the voice of the brand, working to make sure that we are tackling important conversations with a distinctive POV across all content and platforms
- Provide high-level ideation and direction on all features/tentpoles/seasonal packages and programs across .com
- Provide high-level guidance and support to content leads in new international markets while you directly manage US, UK, Canada, and German Content leads
- Provide unconventional support for sold programs, while securing appropriate brand partners for big programming moments
- Partner with heads of Editorial Strategy, Photo/Design, Branded, and Social for thought leadership and long-lead content planning as well as talent management and scouting
- In partnership with category leads, manage and refresh all category missions and materials; socialize to all essential teams and stakeholders, as well as to adapt missions based on specific global markets/editions
- Consult on the launch of new and emerging categories/verticals (Ex: Motherhood/fertility) and oversee mission/language framing categories for editorial guidelines as well as use for communications and sales
- Host and lead monthly Global Content Leads meeting discussing big-picture geo-targeted content planning, events, and concepts, while skill sharing and establishing consistency with best practices from market to market
Consult on International content strategy & team building with heads of Global R29; advise on international programming calendars
A GLOBAL BRAND
- Represent and serve as a spokesperson on behalf of R29, our brand and content vision, at worldwide events/conferences/panels, helping drive vision & credibility within Refinery29 and VMG
- Partner with Head of Sales across all of our markets to support dynamic revenue opportunities in established and new and developing markets
- Key partner to sales leadership on brand meetings with both domestic and international brands
- Cultivate and nurture high-level talent and partner relationships
- Write at least quarterly Op-Eds that resonate with our audience and really push thought-leadership and conversation around the most important topics facing young women today
You have these:
- Strong leadership skills with at least 8+ years’ experience managing a team of journalists across categories (news, wellness, fashion, beauty, politics, lifestyle) in a fast-paced, digital environment
- First-rate editorial judgment and skills, with an excellent ability to generate big ideas, spearhead groundbreaking content, identify important emerging voices, and find engaging new ways to package up our biggest initiatives
- Solid background in covering sensitive topics of race, LGBTQ rights, reproductive freedom, and social justice, and in effectively diversifying the voices and points of view in a newsroom
- Experience using innovative and successful methods to grow audiences, expand across diverse readerships, and build engaged online communities.
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to manage, motivate, mentor and grow a diverse and talented team of writers and editors
- A business- and growth-driven approach to running a media organization, with experience working with the sales and editorial strategy teams to create sustainable opportunities for growing audience and revenue
- Optimism and passion for helping those around you to feel supported and grow
We’d love if you also had these:
- Exceptional creative and strategic orientation, communication and collaboration
- Comfortable working in a startup-like environment, where speed, flexibility, and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.