Stripe strives to build the best products and services helping entrepreneurs around the world to grow their businesses. We work on complex technical and legal problems every day, and we’re looking for a technical and process-minded lawyer with a love for data, technology, and privacy. This role will help develop and drive processes for our Global Privacy Compliance Program, with a particular focus on EMEA.
- Serve as part of a team of lawyers advising on Stripe’s contractual negotiations as it relates to data protection and assist product teams and management on privacy and data protection issues.
- Help ensure that Stripe’s products and services comply with applicable law and our commitments to our customers.
- Help manage Stripe’s privacy and data protection compliance program, including our continuous compliance efforts for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and similar data compliance operational work.
- Analyze existing and new legislative and regulatory developments to ensure that Stripe understands and remains compliant with evolving requirements.
- Work closely with other members of Stripe’s legal and product teams to help develop policies and procedures to comply with privacy and data protection laws around the world.
- With other members of the team, represent Stripe externally before data protection regulators, industry groups and other key stakeholders.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years’ experience as a practicing lawyer working on data protection and privacy legal issues, with particular depth on, European data privacy regulations and the regimes governing transfer of data between the US and other nations.
- A strong background in software technology and a demonstrated ability to converse with software engineers with specificity and depth about the ways we collect and process data.
- Worked in a technology company or in a law firm or consulting firm as product or privacy counsel.
- Strong organization and project management skills with the ability to work well on both long and short-term projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
The person we want to hire for this role will also be:
- A skilled advisor and negotiator who can actively work with the business to engineer pragmatic solutions.
- A team player who is willing to pitch in where needed in a fast-paced, growing company.
- The ability to balance legal risk with the commercial needs of the business
- An ability to negotiate contracts in German would be useful.
- Decisive, and capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- An exceptionally hard worker, capable of getting things done as well as strong interpersonal and people management skills
- Passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping businesses grow and thrive.
- Please provide a resume and LinkedIn profile.