Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $4.3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $42 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity:
Better is seeking an Underwriting Trainer to join and support our rapidly-growing enablement team. This individual will help facilitate the training of our internal employees, providing both new and current members of our Mortgage Operations functions with a unique opportunity to evolve their mortgage expertise and grow in their Underwriting career at Better. This individual will support our Enablement, UW Training Manager by leading direct classroom facilitation, delivering coaching and feedback, coordinating logistics and scheduling, and developing some content management as we onboard and provide continuing education for underwriters.
The Underwriting Trainer will operate as a bridge between Underwriting and Learning and Development at Better as we continue to build out our programming. Our ideal candidate is a strong Underwriter with extensive industry knowledge and 2+ years of direct training / facilitation experience, preferably within a start-up or fast-paced, hyper-growth environment.
Responsibilities will Include:
As Better's Underwriting Trainer, your responsibilities will be wide in scope. You can expect to actively contribute in the following ways:
- Work with our UW Training Manager to conduct ongoing needs assessments to measure the status and effectiveness of training.
- Continuously refine and contribute to our ongoing training plans by adapting and pivoting for future iterations.
- Align and consistently share alignment around the design and delivery of the curriculum.
- Identify mechanisms and opportunities for obtaining, creating, and encouraging feedback loops within both Underwriting and Enablement.
- Effectively identify patterns and implement sustainable solutions for areas of improvement.
- Facilitate internal underwriting training courses to current Better Mortgage Operations employees.
- Apply adult learning principles and techniques to delivery style.
- Understand and respond to different learning styles when providing individual and group training.
- Review new hires’ work and provide direct feedback to them as well as deliver scorecards to their managers before being released from training and gaining signing authority.
- Build relationships with new hires’ managers and effectively provide insights on potential ongoing coaching opportunities for their new team members.
- Provide coaching and development to the Underwriting team at every stage of their growth.
3+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and non-conforming mortgages with 2+years in Learning and Development and/or facilitation experience in the mortgage industry OR 5+ years of underwriting experience with a leadership role (i.e. Team Lead or UWM) and passionate about gaining experience in training and learning and development.
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process, underwriting methodology and philosophy.
- Comfortable facilitating training in large groups (20+).
- Innovative in engaging participants and facilitating an excellent employee experience.
- Proactive in identifying and evaluating engagement and knowledge retention of participants.
- Goal-oriented problem solver that can prepare and execute action plans.
- Composure and decision-making ability in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment.
- Excellent communication, organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to build relationships and partner efficiently with stakeholders.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.