Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
While this role will start remote, we will require this individual to be based in our Chicago office.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched the Kin Intern Insurance Network, a customer-owned carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. In 2020, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida while expanding into other states.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what's the role?
As an engineering manager you will lead projects and teams as we build and rethink software and technology for the home insurance industry. We’re tackling a complicated, regulated industry with excitement and innovation as we build tools and systems that make our customers excited to work with us and our internal stakeholders jobs easier. As a leader, we’ll rely on you to build high performing technical teams including hiring, coaching and mentoring. You’ll work with all areas of the business and leadership to gather insights, influence product road maps, and help us achieve our technical goals.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaborate with product managers, department leaders, and other areas of the business
- Build and enforce engineering best practices
- Actively participate in recruiting and hiring talent to the engineering team
- Motivate and lead team members
- Participate in code reviews, retros, and business meetings
I’ve got skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 7+ years experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years leading and managing technical teams
- Strong mentorship and leadership skills, able to mentor engineers at various stages of their career
- Create and evaluate goals for direct reports, comfortable providing actionable feedback to team members
- A track record of meeting technical business goals
- Comfortable in a startup environment or working with ambiguity
- Data oriented - using data and metrics to inform decisions and drive growth
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that’s right for you. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Commuter Benefit Plans
Flex Spending Accounts
Onsite gym membership - after we return to the office