ZenHub is looking for an Engineering Manager to help us build not only the best development team culture, but help other companies do the same through adoption of ZenHub's suite of tools. The engineering team at ZenHub is growing rapidly and this role will challenge you both as a manager and an engineer. As an Engineering Manager at ZenHub, you will be responsible for managing multiple product software teams, coach and mentor developers at all levels & inform the building of performance, reliable and scalable systems. We're looking for someone who is passionate about motivating and growing people, creates a culture of ownership and transparency, and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves to contribute to the codebase in whatever way is needed to hit our goals. A successful candidate is someone who takes responsibility for the output of their teams and strives for operational excellence of their domain.
A little about us:
ZenHub is the leading team collaboration and project management tool built right into GitHub and GitHub Enterprise. At ZenHub, every team member is empowered to get to know our customers deeply, learn how to solve their toughest problems, and turn them into evangelists.
Our customers are smart cookies: some of the best teams at companies like Adobe, NASA, Microsoft, Docker, and SAP use ZenHub to stay in the zone. Our team is passionate about improving our product – after all, we use it everyday. We encourage all of our team members to contribute ideas and challenge the status quo.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Take responsibility over the health of the tech stack. You will be one of the leading faces of the engineering team. You will represent the quality and health of the entire technical stack, so you will need to get intimately familiar with it. Identify technical debt and find us a way out of it while balancing many other business priorities.
- Assist the product team in the definition of priorities for technical initiatives and guide the long-term roadmap and strategy for your teams. Work closely with the engineering leads to identify security weaknesses and drive forward plans to address them.
- Constantly measure and improve the effectiveness of the team. Determine how success will be measured and identify areas where you can make an impact. Decide on which metrics should be gathered, where they should be surfaced publicly and how they will drive forward the business vision.
- Learn about our customers' needs, understand the ZenHub product, and work with your teams to help define, scope, build and ship features to address customer concerns.
- Create a positive and rewarding environment for your teams to do their best work. Support new team members. Mentor and facilitate the growth of engineers of all skill levels. Facilitate performance reviews and define career growth trajectories for every individual on the team.
- Work with the other engineering managers and leaders of the organization to provide technical context on the development work, understand and communicate with the teams the "why" behind the goals, and own the technical roadmap for your teams.
- Build trust and transparency across the organization. Initiative conversation, foster a culture of feedback, anticipate problems, and solve business challenges before they become a concern.
- Define and execute on hiring and onboarding plans to grow the team and bring in new talent. Work with the recruiting team to attract high quality candidate and work with the existing engineering team to build an industry-leading interview pipeline and onboarding experience.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Has an existing track record of leading and managing successful engineering teams and working cross-functionally in a product-based environment
- Has strong people management skills and the ability to recruit and develop a high performing team
- Has a positive attitude, is able to see the big picture, and is someone who others feel comfortable reaching out to for guidance and support
- Is passionate about building tools for developers and has a customer-centric attitude
- Has a solid understanding of the full software development lifecycle, from ideation to market research to design, development, QA and release
- Has experience working closely with end-users, troubleshooting technical problems, triaging support requests and staying calm and collected in high pressure situations
- Has worked in a high-paced startup SaaS environment, shipping product features to users on a regular basis
More about ZenHub:
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed in the role description. One of our values is “Growth Mindset”. If you have some of the qualities listed above, and are excited about the role and motivated to learn – we want to hear from you!
At ZenHub our people are the priority. We believe the more perspectives we embrace, the stronger our team. We recruit the best, and welcome people of all backgrounds regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or ability. With a focus on respect and a commitment to continuous learning, we’re building an inclusive culture that supports our team in doing their best work. We work hard to provide our full-time team members perks that make their lives better by offering:
○ Boundaryless working style. We want our team to work from wherever is best for them. Whether you prefer to work from the comfort of your home office or from our bright, spacious, and dog-friendly Zen-den, we support you. For those opting to wfh, we offer a generous monthly stipend to cover ongoing remote work expenses. If you opt to join us in-office, we’ll contribute to your commute expenses or bike maintenance.
○ A flexible vacation policy. We work hard and it’s important we take time to recharge. We have a flexible time off policy with no hard limit and encourage our team members to take a minimum of 3 weeks off per year.
○ A commitment to continued learning and development. We provide an annual professional development budget to use towards conferences, classes, books, and other opportunities to maintain and expand your skill set.
○ Fitness reimbursements. Stay fit with our monthly reimbursements for health-related benefits like gym memberships, fitness apps, and personal training.
○ Top-of-the-line equipment. In addition to receiving a company smartphone of your choice with a paid voice/data plan, every team member receives a generous annual new tech budget to try new gadgets, tools, and platforms.
○ Flexible parental leave policies. We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. In addition to state, provincial, and federal leave allowances, parents on our team have the ability to create flexible schedules or take days off when family needs to come first.
○ Social Connection. When it’s safe to gather again our team will have access to a shared collaboration space in Vancouver, but our team is focused on fostering strong relationships and an equitable experience no matter where in the world you’re working.
Check out our careers page to learn more about what other benefits we offer!