GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Engineering Manager is a critical role on the DevOps team at GumGum. This position manages a team of talented DevOps engineers that build and maintain the infrastructure that underpins the Advertising products that serve GumGum clients. This role has a major impact on the ability of GumGum to scale it’s business and develop software in an efficient and secure manner.
The DevOps team currently uses technologies such as AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus and Python. As a centralized team, DevOps works closely with all teams in the engineering department to deliver standardized solutions for the Advertising business division, as well as with other stakeholders to deliver new capabilities and troubleshoot issues.
Reporting to our Director of Engineering, the Engineering Manager works as part of a team of engineering managers in the technology division of our advertising business.
Please note, GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and MN.
- Oversee the team’s overall technical roadmap, and facilitate and contribute to technical discussions
- Understand the code bases at a high level and actively participate in reviewing code changes
- Manage a diverse team of engineers who work on a variety of systems, including our standardized Kubernetes clusters, monitoring stack, CI/CD pipelines and security apparatuses.
- Hold 1-1s, conduct performance reviews, hold retrospectives, create documentation, and recruit and hire for the team. Continue evolving our hiring process, on-boarding and training functions
- Keep team members engaged, and mentor them to help them grow their careers
- Advocate for and grow our team’s processes and best practices
- Encourage technical and professional development, and for team members to write blog posts, give presentations, and talk about GumGum’s technology outside of GumGum
- Collaborate with Product and stakeholders to identify, prioritize and develop new features and improvements for our products, as well as help to provide support for any issues
- Help define product requirements and translate requests into actionable tasks.
- Own team’s systems fully and ensure priorities are met by their deadlines. Unblock engineers if necessary.
- Work with other Engineering teams, ensuring DevOps philosophies are considered and met for new projects
- Learn our business and industry, and ensure the team has the context necessary to make decisions and understand priorities
- Engineering or Computer Science degree, or equivalent industry experience is required
- 2+ years of experience managing or leading a technology team is required
- 4+ years of DevOps engineering experience is required
- 6+ years of software engineering experience is required
- Technically strong, with a history of successfully delivering systems into production at scale
- Experience coaching and mentoring team members is preferred
- In-depth understanding of DevOps concepts and practices, including architecture and programming patterns
Experience with the technologies the team uses (AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, Prometheus and Python)
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams, from engineering to product to stakeholder teams
- Ability to identify and implement cost savings measures
- Security awareness. Should be able to identify deficiencies and assess the risk to the business of proposed system changes.
- Ability to break down a business request into actionable tasks
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
- Organized, self-starter with proactive attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to independently manage workload
- Ability to motivate a team and build consensus for decisions
- Strong collaborative attitude
- Proactive in suggesting ideas and potential improvements
Benefits & Perks
- Medical Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Vision Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Dental Coverage including 100% premium coverage for employee + spouse/family
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Stock Incentive Program (role dependent)
- Paid Parental Leave - Birth parents can receive up to 16-18 weeks for birth recovery and baby bonding. Non-birth parents can receive up to 10 weeks for baby bonding
- Transitional Return-to-Work Schedule
- Modern Family Support: Cleo App
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal and Identity Theft Protection
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- WFH Stipend
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Flexible Time Off
- Veterinary Discounts
- WeWork Monthly Pass
- Pet friendly organization - We love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Virtual company events and (optional) in-person celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
- Anniversary recognition and awards
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Optional return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will reopen in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum expands globally! Our company recently acquired JustPremium, a European-based company that utilizes creatives as a means to develop digital environments. JustPremium’s rich media is one of the largest in the world, and brings forward higher performing ads that adds value to GumGum’s already thriving contextual intelligence. With this acquisition, we now have 375 + employees globally, as well as new market expansion including Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, and Mexico. Together we will become the most powerful global solution for a cookieless future through contextual technology and high-impact creatives.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed.
Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum