Disqus’ engineering team is growing, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
This role is based out of our San Francisco office and reports to the Chief Technology Officer
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other.
- Provide continuous feedback, address underperformance, and recognize the individual strengths and contributions of your team members.
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes.
- Work closely with the recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Work with your engineers and/or product managers to maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals.
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our customers.
What we’re looking for:
- You have lead and developed engineering teams in the past. This isn’t your first rodeo.
- You have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions.
- You can roll up your sleeves and code with the team when that little extra bit is needed.
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers.
- You have experience leading a team of engineers and guiding them through their career development.
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale.
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively.
- You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team.
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work.
- You think ahead and build for the future.
What you’ll get from us
- The opportunity to make enormous impact on our business. We boast one of the largest user to employee ratios in the biz (hovering around 22 million users per employee!)
- A chance to join a community of people who are passionate about great discussions -- and are building the best place on the web to talk about things that matter.
- A company culture that values learning from one another, exhibiting a generous spirit, and bringing our authentic selves to work. Our collective breadth of experience allows us to make a bigger impact -- we are greater than the sum of our parts.
- Generous total compensation packages for each employee. Some highlights include fully-covered health, dental and vision plans; flexible work hours and unlimited PTO, including up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave; and competitive salary and stock options.
- Perks to keep you at your best, including daily catered lunch and a fully stocked kitchen, weekly in-office yoga and massage, a bountiful equipment and workstation policy, and access to resources to help you learn, from a learning stipend to a well-stocked library.
- Great office location in SoMa, which is easily accessible by BART, MUNI, Caltrain and Transbay buses.
We love the internet, and the colorful characters and interesting conversations that make up its diverse communities. Disqus exists to make better communities and an even better web. Today, our product ecosystem includes our established comment network (over 3 million websites that cover pretty much any topic imaginable), a growing advertising network, and our owned and operated platform. Originally founded in 2007 by CEO Daniel Ha and CTO Jason Yan, we’re changing the way people get into discussions about the things they love -- or are just curious about. Come join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.