We’re building a movement - an education revolution.
We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, but we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
As part of the Mobile Engineering Foundation team, your mission is to help product teams build delightful user experiences faster and more reliably. This includes a wide range of activities and responsibilities, from design systems and shared components to application architectures to local development tooling to refactoring our SPAs for the future as we continue to scale aggressively.
This is a foundational role on a newly formed team. You will have the opportunity to have a huge impact on the way we build products at ApplyBoard.
What you’ll be doing every day:
- Lead a highly collaborative engineering team at ApplyBoard by example in the practice and promotion of excellence in software engineering
- Provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your teams build.
- Aligning the team’s roadmap against the delivery plans of our broader product engineering organization
- Management of staffing, mentoring, growing, and maintaining a best-of-class software engineering team.
- Participation in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team
What you bring to the table:
- You have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience leading teams as a manager or team lead
- You should have experience in developing and maintaining products that are used globally.
- You should have worked into Ruby, Rails, React, Node.js, Typescript, or python
- Experience in Kafka, Amazon MQ, RabbitMQ or similar streaming or messaging systems is of advantage.
- You should have experience into EdTech, eCommerce, or content-management software
- Experience into Relational databases, ORM frameworks, and their alternatives is must
- Good understanding of Microservices or SOA; RESTful APIs, JSON, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack
- DevOps, Observability, Infrastructure as Code
- You embody an open-source philosophy and are able to establish high coding and standards that are easy to understand and embrace for other teams
- A high level of skill and craftsmanship in building software that stands the test of time
- Ability to explain and defend an informed opinion while maintaining an open mind
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
Ideally, you also have experience with many of:
- High-growth start-up or scale-up environments
- Developing and maintaining products that are used by many thousands or millions of people
- Modern testing libraries like testing-library/react,cypress.js
- EdTech, eCommerce, or content-management software
- Full-stack web development, but a passion for the front-end
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a huge impact on a product that is positively changing the lives of thousands of students every day
- Working alongside a brilliant and globally diverse team based in Waterloo and Toronto
- Great compensation and benefits package to keep you healthy and happy!
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to be part of one of the fastest-growing technology companies, not only in Canada but the world. With that, you will have many opportunities for professional growth and advancement. Work alongside a globally diverse team of more than 1,000 team members from 25+ countries, representing 30+ nationalities, and speaking 50+ languages.
Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities.
ApplyBoard empowers students around the world to access the best education by simplifying the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process to more than 1,500 institutions across Canada, Australia, the United States, and the United Kingdom. ApplyBoard, headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, has helped more than 200,000 students from more than 125 countries along their educational journeys since 2015.
ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list in 2019 and #2 in 2020. ApplyBoard was also been named to LinkedIn’s list of Top Startups in 2020 and TechTO’s list of top Canadian Rocketship companies to accelerate your career in the Tech Industry.
In 2021, ApplyBoard announced a C$375M Series D funding on a C$4B valuation. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team around the world, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world. Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.