“Ocado Technology, researching, designing, engineering the next generation of hardware & software solutions through disruptive innovation"
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative hardware and software systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture. But don’t just take our word for it, have a look at what our people are saying about us on Glassdoor.
A snippet about the team...
The Bot Control Systems (BCS) team focuses on the successful delivery of next generation bot motion control software. We are a team that does what needs to be done, by identifying gaps in our current bot systems and working with talented engineers across our business to prototype and deliver quality products. We are working on niche projects, all contributing to the improvement of our automated warehouses.
We are looking for a passionate Team Leader to join our department who would like to work on unique, stretching and innovative projects.
How you'll spend your days...
- Actively contribute to the process of continuous improvement, with regard to self, team and systems; including mentoring, coaching and skills development.
- Lead the development of the bot physical simulation and verification frameworks.
- Develop and document the architecture of the bot motion control systems.
- Participate in code, design and test reviews.
- Overseeing the team’s code development standards, that they adhere to Ocado SDLC guidelines.
- Attending regular planning meetings with the Product and Engineering Managers in order to identify goals and contribute to strategic technology discussions.
- Actively participate in recruitment to the team and to the BCS Department in general.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and implement new system control solutions
- Participate in initial scoping meetings to understand and refine requirements.
- Define / agree / modify proposed control architecture and scope of work for team and external suppliers.
- Allocate team resources, provide delivery timelines and manage priorities.
- Organise in collaboration with external teams and vendors prototyping testing on new hardware components and control solutions.
- Investigate, justify and resource the development of new control solutions to improve costs / functionality / performance.
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- Experience of managing complex technical teams in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrable programming ability with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques in embedded and real-time control systems.
- Proven ability to develop / test / commission and troubleshoot integrated control solutions in the Robotics/Automation field.
- Comfortable with collaborating across team and functions
- Proven decision making ability under the pressures of conflicting priorities and multiple work streams.
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
What we can offer you…
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.