Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
This role, the Installation and Commissioning Electrician, reports to the MHE Manager. This role has no direct report. You will be a part of the OSP MHE Implementation team. The OSP MHE Implementation team is responsible for on-site construction, contractor management and implementation of all component, machines and MHE systems for Customer Fulfillment Centers (CFCs) for Ocado and their clients both in the UK and abroad; this role will support our work in the US.
Your role in the team is to:
Be responsible and manage end to end installation of all peripherals, maintenance area, waste conveyor, and connection conveyor in the Fulfillment Center (FC) to meet agreed go-live date.
- Organize safe, technically correct and on time installation with contractors.
- Ensure machine safety is installed correctly, (eg guarding, emergency stop circuits, functional safety).
- Check interaction of peripherals with bots.
- Check machines are mechanically and electrically installed correctly to tolerance and specification.
- Check wiring fulfills USA and Canadian electrical safety standards and is checked to highest requirements.
- Manage short term issues and escalations.
- Manage field labelling by external body.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Adjust/fine-tune MHE equipment for optimum running.
- Manage snagging/punchlisting and defect fault fixes and plan roll-out across site where required.
- Manage quality sign-off by recording all stages of sign-off on standard forms.
- Successful hand over of MHE equipment and operator workstations to Engineering Operations.
- Routinely interface with the grid specialist in determining setting out/coordination for grid/ peripherals installation and future trades.
- Be a key point of escalation for all peripheral, chargers and maintenance area related issues.
Manage the peripheral, charger, MA, manage waste conveyor, connections conveyors contractors, trade contractor technical installations through risk assessments, day to day look ahead and morning minutes.
- Responsible for informing the team of MHE install rates, risks and opportunities in advance of construction operations.
- Ensure prescribed testing and commissioning is undertaken and that all drawings / test certificates / as-builts are retained.
- Responsible for a safe project environment, guiding the project team to a safe standard of project delivery.
- Advise the Subcontractor on the need for temporary works (e.g scaffolding).
- Keep up to date metrics and progress reports (daily, weekly, and monthly) to ensure Ocado/Contractor to support the project.
- Contribute to lessons learnt, process improvement and knowledge sharing.
- Will manage all install tests with the trade contractor for each peripheral machine.
- Solve Ocado’s design based and methodology-based problems on site in a commercial and project benefitting manner.
- Manage RFI processes, design queries and drive solutions
- Audit and test 3rd party MHE installs from TGW, MachineX, and/or equivalent MHE systems providers.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- 2 years' relevant experience in the Material Handling Equipment (MHE) industry.
- Certified Electrician with Mechanical aptitude.
- Solid understanding of OSHA standards and processes is essential.
- Will have commissioning experience on similar MHE systems- running HMI system tests and tracing back issues to root cause whether electrical or mechanical.
- Will have mechanical aptitude to perform basic mechanical checks- check a guide is level, etc.
- Confident in directing electrical contractors on preferred methods of routing wire and method of containment- conduit, wire way, cable tray, etc. Understand proper methods of zip tying cables.
- Oversee Construction Site contractors
- Microsoft Excel
Preferred (in addition to minimum)
- OSHA 10 Certification
- Competence of Lifting and Slinging Operations (includes contract lifts, banks man, and slinging)
- Ability to navigate common drawing packages (eg Autocad/E-plan)
- Ability to follow a Quality Plan
Work will typically be on one of 20 sites anywhere in the USA for 6-12 month periods, moving to another site on completion. Initial on-boarding of 1-3 months is likely to take place in the UK or existing OSP site.
What We Offer
- 401k Plan; 100% match up to 5% of earnings
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- 10 Paid Public Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Reimbursement Account; Company Contribution of 50% of Annual Deductible
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.