EXP – The Opportunity Engine
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
EXP is a youth workforce-development nonprofit based in Carson, CA, that supports nearly 8,200 underserved students from 13 schools across 5 school districts by providing professional career-readiness programs such as internships, boot-camps, coaching and mentoring. Also known as "the opportunity engine," EXP is where young people can gain experience, unlock doors and build the confidence they need to succeed in school, career and life. Bringing industry and schools together, EXP works with a dedicated team of 21 staff, over 400 industry volunteers, and an annual operating budget of $2.65m, to realize its vision of equal access to education, experiences and career opportunities so that all students may reach their full potential.
POSITION OVERVIEW (See Candidate Profile)
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer of EXP is an experienced, visionary leader responsible for all aspects of administration and operations, as well as direction and implementation of the organizational strategy and its programs. Supported by a strong senior leadership team, the CEO will serve as the lead spokesperson for the organization - continuing to build relationships across public, private and educational institutions to promote EXP and its mission in a meaningful way.
A purpose-driven executive with a high level of business acumen and exceptional team management skills, the CEO of EXP will steward the organization’s brand, grow its network, increase resources, and diversify funding sources to enhance performance and impact. The CEO will also provide direction and thought partnership to the staff of EXP. They will inspire unity, building upon and developing new, high functioning partnerships and relationships throughout Southern California to advance EXP’s already robust business and educational resources and programmatic objectives.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership & Strategy
- Responsible for overall leadership of EXP including setting the organizational direction, developing and implementing the next strategic plan, and building the team and infrastructure necessary to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson to all constituents, media, and general public, effectively communicating the purpose, mission, vision and values of EXP.
- Partners with the Board of Directors and Senior Leadership team to craft organizational goals and strategies, ensuring all EXP programs, resource development and staff activities align with the strategic plan.
- Directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes departmental and individual goals.
- Responsible for the enhancement of EXP’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations
- Serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its committees, providing strong direction and information necessary to make informed decisions in governance and policy formulation.
- Works closely with the Board of Directors, boosting their involvement in strategy, fundraising, and increased community visibility.
- Foster effective teamwork with the Board of Directors, and between the Board and staff.
Finance & Fund Development
- Identifies, cultivates and solicits support from prospective new corporate partners, grant funders, and individual donors.
- In partnership with leadership team, generates additional fee-for-service revenue.
- Promotes a culture of philanthropy in the organization, both at the staff and Board level.
- Ensures the fiscal integrity of EXP by overseeing the creation and oversight of the annual budget and monthly financial statements and reports.
- Ensures maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
HR & Operations
- Accountable for building and leading a high-performing team, ensuring all departments are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results.
- Maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization, within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Assesses organizational capacity, operations and gaps in systems and staffing.
- Works with Controller to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks.
- Ensures and maintains organizational goals of diversity, equity and inclusiveness among Board, staff, and volunteers.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent and qualified staff.
- Effective administration of EXP’s operations, including signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered on behalf of the organization.
- Undergraduate degree required. Training, experience, or advanced degree preferred in business, public administration, or not for profit management.
- Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards.
- Extensive senior strategic leadership experience in the management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization, particularly youth development, career technical education, and workforce and economic development.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Connections to, or experience working with, local school districts, community colleges or other educational institutions desired, but not required.
- Must cultivate an executive temperament and possess the ability and confidence necessary to cope effectively the dynamics of a leadership role.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
- Strategic Communicator
- Brand Steward
- Business Acumen
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary range for this position is $150,000 - $175,000, depending on qualifications and experience. EXP offers an exceptional benefits package for full time employees including health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more. This position is currently on-site.
EXP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
Envision Consulting was retained by EXP for their search for a Chief Executive Officer.