Facilities Engineering Technician
The Facilities Engineering Team at Zymergen is a growing, fast-paced group that is at the heart of the company. The team is looking for a Facilities Technician to provide a leading role in the team. This role is a six month fixed term position.
The Facilities Engineering Technician would perform general maintenance, corrective repairs of buildings, and emergency repairs activities. The Facilities Technician will report to a Facilities Engineering Manager in a dynamic and growing team. They will assist in monitoring building system operations, lab equipment preventative maintenance programs including the installation of diverse types of lab equipment such as incubators, centrifuges, freezers. This individual will also take a lead role in monitoring and maintaining building utility systems.
The Facilities Engineering Technician ensures work requests for the laboratory, office and building systems are fulfilled in a timely manner. Able to respond immediately to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment/power failure) at all times, this includes after hours within a reasonable amount of time. Utilized several trade skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC. The individual will train new staff and lower level engineers/technicians to improve overall team performance. Will perform additional job duties as requested. This individual will provide high-level facility-related support and it is preferable to have an understanding of GLP lab spaces and/or have prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical fields.
Job Description and Specific Responsibilities
- Keeps all facilities equipment and utilities in compliance with regulatory standards and in good working order.
- Maintain all building systems and equipment, including but not limited to, HVAC, CDA, vacuum, DI/RO systems, chillers, autoclaves, boilers, electrical equipment, and FAS systems, and BMS/EMS control systems.
- Review and understand equipment and methods of operation, BMS system, fire/life safety, and other systems;
- Effectively and safely troubleshoot mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
- Locates and diagnoses failures, replaces defective components and performs advanced troubleshooting using hand & power tools, test equipment, mathematics, operating manuals, specifications, prints, and verbal and/or written instructions.
- Provides written documentation of activities via work orders, PMs, formal root cause analysis, management reports, and discrepancies or non-conformance reports, engineering change orders (ECO), and validations.
- Communicates effectively the status of work assignments to internal customers and management.
- Develops and revises Standard Operating Procedures as directed by the manager and Regulatory Team.
- Manages vendor activities of both new and existing facilities vendors ensuring quality of work expectations and service level agreements are met.
- Responds to Emergency notifications as part of the on-call rotation and provides immediate response to emergency situations such as fire, evacuation, and equipment failure.
- Assignments range from mundane to complex where considerable judgment and initiative are required, and where analysis must be documented.
- Normally receives little to no instruction on routine work, and general instructions on new assignments. Will coordinate with the Manager for more complex issues and projects.
- Ensure all functions are performed safely and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, as well as company policies, procedures, and controls.
- This position requires a minimum of a high school diploma and 7-9 years of relevant experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical fields. A four-year college degree and/or 10 years of relevant experience is preferred.
- Facilities Equipment and Building Systems Maintenance experience is required (i.e. HVAC, CDA, vacuum, DI/RO systems, chillers, electrical equipment, and FAS systems, and BMS/EMS control systems).
- Experience troubleshooting mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
- Ability to review and understand P&IDs, wiring diagrams, electrical drawings.
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined and able to function independently as well as part of a team.
- Strategic agility, strong critical and logical thinking with the ability to analyze problems.
- Strong ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in an evolving environment.
- Computer competency (MS Word, Excel, Google Suite, Salesforce, CMMS, Dropbox, Slack).
- Able to train new hires and act as a mentor.
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Able to be on-call for building system related emergencies during non-work hours and weekends
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.