SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
FIELD NETWORK SPECIALIST (STARLINK)
SpaceX is designing, building, and deploying the world’s largest network of ground station antennas – the Starlink gateways. Through our gateways, the Starlink satellite constellation is filling in the gaps in global connectivity. Want to help build the next era of Internet?
We are looking for creative and driven field specialists to solve issues affecting sites and antenna availability. You will become an expert in the hardware and operations of our gateways - just bring your love of cross-disciplinary problem solving! Specialists on this team are curious, love to learn new things, and work effectively in a fast-paced and cross-disciplinary team environment.
- Deploy, troubleshoot, and repair Starlink ground hardware as part of a close-knit team of exceptional engineers and specialists
- Travel internationally and domestically to resolve hardware issues affecting Starlink user service
- Diagnose failures within fiber optic circuits and execute repairs to bring system back to full operation
- Investigate and resolve issues with onsite commercial network and routing hardware
- Improve existing, and create new, training documentation for continuous improvement of team skills
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience as a mechanic or technician in the telecom or another engineering field
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong knowledge of standard computer skills: MS Office, Visio, and web applications
- Meticulous attention to detail, standards, and documentation
- Ability to read, understand, and follow electrical/mechanical drawings & schematics
- Any of the following is a bonus:
- Experience in cell tower and site construction or maintenance
- Experience with low earth orbit tracking antennas, stabilizers, or VSAT antennas
- Experience working with fiber optics; network and telephony installation; and/or AV installation, test, troubleshooting, and repair; using fiber optic test equipment (OTDR, OLS, OPM, VFL)
- Experience constructing IT/network racks (UPS, PDUs, cable management, servers, network devices)
- Experience with facilities and related infrastructure construction and maintenance (diesel/natural gas generators, DC battery banks, etc.)
- Experience installing, activating, or troubleshooting CWDM and/or DWDM using standard fiber equipment and testers
- Experience operating articulating boom lifts, forklifts, scissor lifts, and other work site machinery
- Experience with low voltage AC & DC power distribution; operational understanding of Ohm’s Law; and the ability to safely use a multi-meter
- Fluency in languages in addition to English
- Ability to distinguish between different colors and possess manual dexterity to complete fine motor tasks
- Ability to travel as required; travel will be approximately 75% of the time to US or international gateway sites
- General physical fitness and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required for some tasks
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.