Firmware Engineer at Orion Labs
Orion Labs is dedicated to revolutionizing the way that people communicate. Our heads-up, wearable-enabled group communication service helps people to stay connected across any distance and collaborate more effectively.
Our main wearable communication product, Onyx, is designed around an embedded computing architecture that ties together Bluetooth, audio DSP, and user interface components. The Onyx firmware supports a great deal of complexity in a constrained environment, with stringent product requirements for power consumption, audio quality, and user interface latency. Moreover, even as we continue developing and enhancing Onyx, we also have new and even more ambitious hardware products just around the corner.
All of which means that firmware engineering at Orion is a real challenge!
What you’ll do
As an embedded firmware engineer, you will be responsible for creating and maintaining firmware running on all embedded devices. You will have responsibilities spanning all aspects of product bring-up and test:
- Bring up new SoCs, chipsets, sensors, and products
- Write, debug, and integrate new device drivers, protocols, and other firmware code across Orion product line
- Interacting with Hardware, OS, Test, Operations and various other cross-functional teams throughout ecosystem
- Review board schematics and data sheets
- Report out to team regularly
- Utilize oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and other test equipment to troubleshoot hardware/software issues
- Envision and enable test strategies for new components in upcoming products
- Support product development builds locally and remotely
What you need:
- C experience
- Solid debugging ability for both low-level firmware and hardware
- Unix command line experience
- Development experience on Unix, Linux, or Mac OS X
- Test equipment experience: oscilloscope, multimeter, logic analyzer
- Effective communication skills
- Ability and interest in working in a diverse environment, on a committed team
- Experience in designing multi-threaded applications
- A love for beautiful software