Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
Hermeus is seeking a highly experienced and skilled Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer to join our growing team. As a Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring accurate and reliable data collection during crucial testing phases.
- Design and develop flight test instrumentation systems and equations for various Hermeus aircraft.
- Perform systems integration and test mission planning for ground and flight tests of multiple systems under test.
- Coordinate efforts with other members of cross functional teams relating to design, fabrication, modification, testing and troubleshooting of aircraft instrumentation systems.
- Determine and document aircraft installation, configuration, and integration requirements for flight test vehicle instrumentation.
- Develop and maintain processes to ensure aircraft and systems configuration control.
- Work jointly with other cross functional team members to author ground and flight test plans and procedures, including safe and logical sequencing of test conditions to satisfy program requirements.
- Ensure that test planning requirements are met.
- Perform data analysis to ensure that instrumented parameters are operating within specification.
- Provide engineering and technical support as part of the Flight Test Engineering Team.
- Must be capable of supporting off-site testing at other sites for short term (up to two months at a time) assignments.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject (Master preferred)
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in flight test instrumentation engineering, specifically in an aerospace or aviation environment.
- Proficiency in the selection, integration, and calibration of a wide range of sensors and data acquisition systems.
- Strong understanding of aircraft systems and instrumentation requirements for flight testing.
- Understanding of relevant civil and military requirements (FAR’s, MIL-STD).
- Must be eligible to obtain and maintain Top Secret clearance.
- In-depth knowledge of Real Time Telemetry, and RTT analysis tools (IADS)
- Experience with flight test safety protocols and best practices.
- Exceptional problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work in (and lead) a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability and willingness to learn and take on tasks outside of town area.
- Basic skills in typical engineering programming languages such as Python/MATLAB
- Ability to present effective engineering data to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and track a wide variety of tasks and assignments.
- Experience with at least two other flight test certification programs
- Experience with large UAV’s
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.