About the Position
This position will work with other members of the floor reporting and legislative tracking team to ensure that CQ’s legislative data and live House and Senate floor coverage is thorough and immediately relevant. This position is within the Legislative Research and Analysis department.
About the CQ Roll Call Team
Floor Action Reporters produce fast, concise and comprehensive descriptions of the policies that take shape on the chamber floors and assist with the publication and maintenance of various CQ.com
databases and written content to provide CQ Roll Call’s clients and the newsroom with superior information. Our work entails data entry and proofing, drafting emails for use by editors and reporters in the CQ newsroom, and publishing analytical written pieces describing legislation.
This position requires exceptional accuracy and attention to detail, the ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines, and an understanding of the legislative process.Floor Action Reporters cover House and Senate action gavel-to-gavel and must be available to work from the press gallery office spaces within the U.S. Capitol building for work hours largely decided by the congressional schedule.
What To Expect In This Position:
- Quickly and accurately collect, process and publish legislative data, documents, amendments, transcripts, bill information and other related information as assigned by your editor.
- Track every action on the House or Senate floor as it happens, providing complete, timely coverage and precise descriptions of both the policy and legislative procedure involved at the time, within set deadlines and in accordance with CQ Roll Call and Associated Press editorial style standards.
- Read, summarize and analyze bill text and floor actions; prepare impartial, fact-based bill summaries of *all* measures and amendments that are the subject of floor activity in either chamber for publication or internal newsroom circulation.
- Master a handful of operational tools, procedures and software systems used to maintain CQ’s legislative data and develop a broad understanding of CQ Roll Call databases and legislative tracking products.
- Balance long hours and an unpredictable congressional schedule while juggling multiple assignments.
- Report breaking news from the House and Senate floors and promptly respond to -- and act upon -- newsroom questions or requests for floor information.
- Work with editors and other reporters to develop reporting, writing and general news-gathering skills; cultivate relationships with congressional and government agency sources for journalistic and document-sourcing purposes.
- In time, contribute ideas about product priorities, data quality and how to improve operations within CQ’s legislative research and analysis department.
What Sets You Apart:
- One year of research or writing experience, preferably in a political or policy-focused capacity; equivalent experience on Capitol Hill; or equivalent experience in journalism, whether as a researcher, reporter or copy editor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- The ability to read and summarize drafts of legislation and amendments, drawing relevant context from the U.S. Code and relevant, reliable sources.
- Experience with large amounts of data entry, proofing and related research.
- Strong attention to detail and good organizational abilities.
- The ability to work a schedule that largely mirrors the House and Senate daily/weekly hours of operation.
- The ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Familiarity with congressional operations and the policy-making process.
- The ability to develop sources, gather information and process content in a way that is consistent with CQ Roll Call’s editorial style and standards.
Reference ID: #LI-DP1
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com
and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable intelligence from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects your interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We serve as an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
If your background and experience align with the competencies above, we encourage you to apply so that we can review your experience and learn more about how you can add to FiscalNote’s growth and success.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so our open vacation policy helps us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.