Job Title: Follow-up Manager
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Reports to: Country Director
Direct Reports: Associate Field Managers
GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the assumptions underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in the emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than more traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technology and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers. GiveDirectly has been featured on NPR’s This American Life, and in Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and The New York Times. It was named one of the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Finance by FastCompany, one of the 25 Most Audacious Companies by Inc., and one of GiveWell’s top-rated charities for 7 years running.
The Follow-up Manager will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly delivers a gold-standard product to donors and a positive experience to recipients. The Manager will oversee staff on multiple projects that are responsible for monitoring our recipients after they have received transfers - to ensure safe receipt, collect stories on recipient’s chosen use of the cash, and resolve resultant challenges. This follow-up and monitoring will be done in person and through our call center. The Manager will be responsible for the efficient and effective implementation of the follow-up process, including tracking performance of the follow-up team; monitoring recipient call data; streamlining workflow processes and call scripts; building a culture of mentorship and professional development; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement. The role will reward exceptional personnel management, effective communication skills, attention to detail, organizational skills, and a strong commitment towards building a scalable and better-leveraged field organization.
Design and monitor call-center and field follow-up workflow
- Create and run excellent call center and field follow-up workflows, processes, and systems
- Supervise and track work-plans for call center and field follow-up teams
- Oversee and ensure resolution of adverse events / mobile money registration problems; provide guidance on unique or challenging cases
- Review weekly reports to track productivity and quality of service; design and own process of correcting slipping metrics
- Monitor recipient call and field survey data to ensure data integrity
- Ensure appropriate recipient experience metrics are being collected monitored and reviewed
- Coach Associate Field Managers to identify any red flags and pick up on any un-flagged issues
- Train and supervise Associate Field Managers within the follow up team
- Coordinate and manage professional development and training of follow up team (e.g. trainings on all new protocols for existing team as well as all training for new field officers)
- Strengthen coordination systems between enrollment and follow-up
- Identify opportunities for “specialization trainings” on different follow-up functions (e.g. adverse events management, registration problems) and assess the necessity of re-organizing the team
- Ensure positive team dynamics and identify opportunities for morale-building (e.g. retreats, team events, incentives schemes, etc.)
- Oversee implementation of technologies aimed at streamlining data collection and workflow management
- Maintain updated documentation of all collected data and case-management protocols, including those aimed at ensuring data security and standardization
- Identify gaps and provide solutions to address GiveDirectly’s current adverse-events / case management process
- Identify and formulate solutions to address fraud vulnerability in all stages of the follow-up process (e.g. SIM-card changes)
- Responsible for ongoing maintenance of call center infrastructure, in collaboration with IT vendors and taking on strategic projects to improve call center operations and performance.
- Coordinate special fundraising, operational, or research projects with non-traditional follow-up data collection
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Technology, Business Administration and any other relevant discipline
- 2-5 years experience in field management or program management at an international nonprofit organization or high performing organization
- Exceptional ability to logic through complex operational questions & run robust analyses to inform management and programming decisions
- Exceptional leadership and people management abilities with demonstrated success in motivating and developing front line managers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and technical skills (e.g. Google or Microsoft Suites), with an excellent ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and platforms
- Keen interest in improving GD’s follow up processes and systems
- Hands on experience in metrics and reporting
- Demonstrated work ownership and initiative, while effectively communicating gaps and risks
- GiveDirectly culture fit
- Experience managing a call center is an added advantage
Recipients first. We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
Team next. We do what’s best for organizational - not individual - success.
Be proactively candid. We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
Create positive energy. We strive to be a source - not drain - of energy for our colleagues.
Think rigorously; act quickly. We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action - not debate.
Accept reality. Propose solutions. We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
Be productively ambitious. We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
Know yourself and grow. We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth.