Do you want to build out the IT infrastructure of a company from the ground up? Do you love finding, working with, and building out tools and infrastructure to help your team drive as fast as it can? Do you want to work within an incredibly smart engineering organization, and set it up for success? We’re building out a team, an office, and an environment — that’s where you come in.
We’re searching for strong, friendly, flexible, and seasoned people to make up our Technical Services engineering team. That team will be responsible for building and supporting the internal systems for Uber’s Advanced Technologies Group. The ideal candidate will have significant experience laying out data center and IT infrastructure, relatively from scratch, supporting somewhat complex and unique requirements, and working with ridiculously smart people. You have core knowledge of servers (physical and virtual), email systems, VPNs, networking, scripting, and the rest of the nuts of bolts of building infrastructure. In the beginning, this job is very tactical and is about providing day-to-day support for our team. But, this role will quickly evolve into being measured by the productivity our entire organization.
We're looking for somebody who asks a lot of questions, is confident not knowing everything, and is more likely to ask for help and collaborate than go it alone. You need to be crisp and detailed oriented, and willing to own an outcome and run with it, without somebody telling you exactly how to get there. We believe that is what it takes to build a high performing team.
What will you be doing?
- Work closely with all teams to understand needs, distill requests down, come up with a plan, get buy-in, and implement it in our Pittsburgh data centers;
- Ensure the success of every person within our team by making sure he or she has access to the right hardware and tools for the job;
- Equipment unpacking, installation into racks, and decommissioning;
- Data and power cable installation in a neat and manageable fashion;
- Overall data center upkeep, planning, space management, cabling infrastructure, and troubleshooting;
- Write scripts and software to automate common support tasks;
- Knowledge of basic electrical theory including Ohm's Law, AC power, grounding, and electrical circuits;
- Configure new system images for Linux, Windows, and BSD systems;
- Evaluate and implement new technologies for the corporate infrastructure;
- Participate in an on-call rotation; and;
- Provide day-to-day support for a technically strong user base.
What experience are we looking for?
- BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience;
- 5+ years in data center operations or equivalent experience;
- Shell script and Python programming. Desirable is C and/or C++ programming;Strong background in Linux administration;
- Experience with Linux and Microsoft Windows administration;
- Experience with Active Directory and related services;
- Conversant in network administration, firewalls, switches, VPNs, TCP/IP networks, LAN/WAN design;
- Strong skills in process, documentation, and change management; and
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a customer facing attitude.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the Uber Engineering Team. We are a high performing team that is marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe and reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
As an Uber ATC team member, you’ll have a direct impact on the development of these technologies. Do you dream about changing the world? Then, you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged, and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.