The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about improving transit on a global scale using your passion for new technology? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
Hardware Test Technician
Uber ATC V&V Team; Do you enjoy technology? Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Are you willing to put in lots of testing time to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? UATC is hiring hardware test technicians to build our V&V team and help bring our ideas to market.
As a hardware test technician on the V&V team, you will be responsible for executing functional and environmental testing of mechanical and electrical components under the guidance of development and test engineers. Key activities include participation in requirements development, design/construction of test fixtures, development/execution of test cases and documentation of results to validate components and systems.
UATC is seeking Hardware Test Technicians with experience in:
- testing of mechanical and electrical components and systems including:
- thermal, vibration, electrical (white and black box) testing
- reading technical drawings and schematics
- working with a laptop, a wrench, and power tools
- building and debugging complex mechanical and electrical hardware systems and test fixtures
- working with measuring instruments and data acquisition systems
- soldering and performing wire termination of all types
- working independently to quickly overcome challenges without supervision
- isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically
- technical writing and documentation of results
- communicating with other technicians, engineers, and executives
Ideal candidates will also have experience:
- 2D and 3D CAD development
- machining (milling machines, lathe, etc.) experience
- in modern automotive electronics and diagnostic procedures
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.