ROCKETS OF AWESOME is reinventing the way parents shop for kids by leveraging technology, data, brand, personalization, and exceptional merchandise. We’re making shopping for kids apparel convenient and fun – this is the future of vertical commerce.
We are a New York City-based, venture-backed startup with extensive executive expertise. Join our creative and strategic team working to fundamentally innovate the kids apparel space. This team cultivates a culture of learning and continuous improvement by investing in automated testing, learning from real-world problems, and immediately adapting.
We value fun, over-the-top creativity, and teamwork.
About the role
The Head of Design will lead the creation of on-trend, balanced, compelling and innovative product continually tweaked in response to real-time consumer feedback. This will result in strong consumer engagement and retention, with an emphasis on growing lifetime value and brand dimensionalization.
With a focus on making Rockets of Awesome the go-to kids clothing destination, the Head of Design will be challenged to test, iterate, shift and elevate the brand, category, product assortments and strategies. Brand enhancement, consistency and product differentiation will lead to stronger customer loyalty and in turn, increased sales. This role oversees all product categories at Rockets of Awesome.
The Head of Design must have a contemporary, mens or womens market-relevant style sense, and the ability to apply that directionally to the older-kids customer, all through the existing Rockets of Awesome brand lens. They will: be hands-on in every step of the design process in all product categories, including artwork creation; design to protect brand identity while registering trends that appeal to older-kids & moms alike; embrace start-up mentality to assist & innovate in all areas.
What you’ll do...
The Head of Design is charged with making sure that every product designed and produced is filtered through the Rockets of Awesome brand ethos. Their responsibilities are, but not limited to:
Making Rockets of Awesome The Destination for Kids Clothing
- Develop a differentiated, fashion direction strategy that positions Rockets of Awesome as the cool, stylish kids clothing authority.
- Own research and development—Shop appropriate markets, stay on top of incoming trends, and interpret them into the brand aesthetic
- Establish seasonal concept direction including fabric, color, graphic, print and pattern direction.
- Prepare and present boards for key milestone meetings
- Provide direction on fit
- Oversee approval of all development submits
- Experienced (8+ years) design leader in a contemporary, cross-channel, brand-focused company; preferably has operated in an early stage, entrepreneurial company.
- Innovative, team-player with proven success in creating profitable, holistic, integrated merchandising programs in a constantly evolving environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Ability to flex between micro and macro level thinking and work with all levels of management; ability to deep dive into small and big issues across the whole scope of the business.
- Thought leader who thinks beyond product categories; someone who sees the bigger picture and impact that his or her business has on the total.
- A strong trend predictor. High taste level and excellent eye for color, graphics, print and pattern; able to translate into brand aesthetic.
- An excellent technical drawer with the ability to detail garment construction
- A solution oriented, critical thinker who can balance multiple projects and priorities
- A communicative leader. Able to develop and maintain effective relationships and partnerships both cross-functionally within the business and with external production partners
- Exceptionally organized. Able to multitask and prioritize, highly detail-oriented with exceptional follow-through
- High proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop and Excel
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Design
- Visionary and commercially-minded; a consumer-focused entrepreneur who knows how to build brands and make money.
- Collaborator who values integrity, innovation, respect and excellence.
- Strategic yet hands on; someone who can dream and do at the same time.
- Strong sense of urgency and the ability to embrace and maximize a changing landscape; not afraid to make a mistake and take calculated risks.
- Curious and solution-oriented; someone who asks the how versus the why.
- Resilience, flexibility and staying power.
- Passionate about brand and the category.
- Approaches every day as a business owner.